It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastin-Phelan Corp.?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

Who now hold the copyright for railroad slides sold by Eastin-Phelan under the Blackhawk name? A Google search notes Blackhawk was sold off to a variety of successors and all of them now appear to be defunct. I have a specific interest in rights to some Red ArRrow traction slides by H.G. Dinackus.

Thanks!

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Eastin-Phelan Corp.?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 am 

About 20 years ago, I contacted a man in California who claimed to have ownership of the "Blackhawk Films" business which was the most recognized name for Eastin-Phelan. I was interested i releasing some of their railroad titles on video but he wanted so much money for rights that I gave up on the idea. One thing I learned was that most of the original films they produced were returned to the original photographers. Also, they released a good bit of their material in black and white even though the original film was color.

-Jim Herron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 am 

Let me reopen this thread. I have come across a large collection of slides. Some are marked as being Blackhawk Films and some are marked as Eastin-Phelan Corp. I have done a number of internet searches and phone calls and really know nothing more about who own the rights to these slides.

So my question is what can I do with these slides? I am assuming I can sell them on ebay. Can I scan them and use the images? What are the restrictions on their use or sale?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 pm 

Sticky wicket, there. If after a diligent search the copyright holder cannot be determined, then it is considered an orphaned work - use at your own risk of someone stepping forward an claiming copyright ownership and infringement. You may be able to sell them provided that you don't claim them as your work - like selling a painting you own but didn't paint. Personal and educational use are likely OK. Don't automatically assume you can copy and distribute for profit. Orphan works are a huge gray area and the law that created the mess hasn't been cleaned up since the newer copyright laws went into effect in 1978. I know just enough about it to stay away from works that I can't determine ownership. I get written permission to use any works that aren't mine. Tread lightly. I'd talk to a copyright attorney to be sure.