It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Who Should Preserve an Amtrak AEM-7?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm 

At the risk of "derailing" this topic, with AMTRAK's new preservation policy do you suppose a HHP8 will be preserved?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
At the risk of "derailing" this topic, with AMTRAK's new preservation policy do you suppose a HHP8 will be preserved?

I believe that it is FAR more likely now than it was a year ago. And, I'm sure if a preservationist entity with credibility were to ask, it would be a MUCH higher probability.

I have no idea of the status of the Bombardier-Alstom locomotives, I really don't pay any attention to the NEC or areas therein - not out of dislike or anything like that, simply not on my radar at all - too many other things going on at the moment.

Personally, I'd be thinking about specific Amtrak cars that are in the midst of retirement, and/or have been superseded by recent event. Or that have sat at facilities for years without moving. A *LOT* that are, arguably, more historic.

I think it's safe to say, the topic of this thread, the AEM-7, has had at least 1 example saved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm 

The HHP8s are not owned by Amtrak though. They are only leased so it would be up to the owner to decide if one gets saved or they all meet their maker. I believe this year or next is the last year of their lease.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:23 pm 

along the lines of a steam loco preservation fund, maybe there should be an Amtrak museum. Many museums are dedicated to specific roads... Amtrak probably falls outside of a museum concentrating on a regional collection???? Pre Amtrak we have the various road museums. Post Amtrak???? is there anything???
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 am 

Well, we've already lost some significant parts of Amtrak's history since 1971. No P30CHs, and (I believe) no SDP40Fs were saved, at least not in original form. Now, many would say no great loss, they were not successful models, but they were the first original Amtrak locomotives ordered by them.

I think, as a former Amtrak employee and long-time supporter and advocate for their continuation and improvement, that yes, having Amtrak specifically represented at a museum in some way would be a good thing. Perhaps as a major subset of an existing museum might make more sense and be easier to accomplish than starting from scratch. Where it would be located is another good question? While DC has always been company headquarters, I think the value of land in the area would make it prohibitive to locate it there. The Chicago area would also be a logical location, being the place where most major Amtrak routes come together, but again, who or exactly where? Maybe part of Beech Grove shops someday? Land costs would be less of an issue but still an issue there. As with most issues in preservation, we have a lot of more immediate and pressing issues to deal with right now, but it is something to consider.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Well, we've already lost some significant parts of Amtrak's history since 1971.
I think, as a former Amtrak employee and long-time supporter and advocate for their continuation and improvement, that yes, having Amtrak specifically represented at a museum in some way would be a good thing. .

Something I have lately been thinking about. Given that there is about 3 years to the 50 year mark (!!!) something ought to be done. I'd love to see museums put together a "rainbow" set - something that might be done in several facilities.

Now that there has been a change in thinking (about scrapping vs. preservation); it may be possible. I know of three AMT pieces that are likely to be saved in the near future. All would be nice.

I have told people IRM makes sense for this because (a) the cars (for rainbow era) are there (b) rainbow era locomotives are there) (c) there is a good connection to AMT in the area (as noted above) and with the IRM.

The Pullman Library has the maintenance manuals for the Superliners, the AMFleet cars and others (and of course, those from the Rainbow era). We have the original drawings & builders photos for the Superliners, and likely the drawings for AMFleet (as well as the other Budd equipment that came into AMT). We have the drawings of the various R- (rebuild/re manufacture) Lots for both AMT & A-T (speaking of which - what is there of A-T?). We have the drawings for the various MHC cars. And...more on the grounds and a lot of speculation.

An exhibit in the Art train - or by then, the exhibit building is certainly one possibility. Will AMT & freight railroads allow a representative Rainbow Era set for, say MILW-St Louis trips? I have to say, 3 years is NOT likely enough time!

I think there is a AMT RR HS, perhaps including them in the concept might help. I don't know. I'd LOVE to see something done for the anniversary. Fifty years! NO ONE expected it to lst that long, least of all the people setting it up. Something SHOULD be done!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 am 

I saw this in an article in Progressive Railroading about the ground breaking for the Caltrans electrification between San Francisco and San Jose

"After installation of poles and wires is completed, traction power will be added to the system. To test the electric power without damaging the new trains, Caltrain will purchase from Amtrak an old electric locomotive that will be used mainly for testing. A separate, 1-mile segment off the mainline is being constructed for that purpose."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm 

David H. Hamley wrote:
Doesn't the term "museum" imply a certain emphasis of preservation over adaptation?

Here here.

If you want to mess with one and make it run, well...
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-m ... -equipped/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am 

So...if I'm not mistaken, the question in the subject is answered - and perhaps a new topic on Amtrak's Anniversary should be initiated?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 pm 

It looks like Caltrans will use 25 kV, 60 Hz traction power. A stock Amtrak AEM-7, either DC or AC, will run on that. After they install the Caltrans version of PTC, of course.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:18 pm 

Has 945 arrived at IRM?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm 

patentable wrote:
Has 945 arrived at IRM?

AFAIK, it is in a yard in Chicago - might have made it out by now...I *KNOW* it got as far as Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:42 pm 

rswebber wrote:
patentable wrote:
Has 945 arrived at IRM?

AFAIK, it is in a yard in Chicago - might have made it out by now...I *KNOW* it got as far as Chicago

It's waiting to be trucked to the IKEA store in Schaumburg.
Attachment:
meatballs.jpg
meatballs.jpg [ 304.94 KiB | Viewed 9661 times ]

13 days early.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am 

Not really a preservation question but why are dual cabs virtually standard on electrics but nonexistent on modern passenger diesels? Seems like the advantage of not turning the power would apply to both.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 pm 

Interesting question. In first generation days, road switchers often had dual controls so they could run around the train and go back after the engineer had changed control stands. Other times they just turned the engine using the wye or turntable that had turned the steam engines.

Now the entire commuter train is double-ended with the motor at one end and the cab car at the other. Neither the cab car nor the motor needs a cab at the blind end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next