It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Butte, Anaconda, & Pacific
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

Mikefrommontana posted this in the thread about EBT scrapping:

Quote:
This happened at the Butte Anaconda & Pacific shops when the company was taken over by Patriot Rail--everything is (except the roundhouse, and maybe the carshop) has been razed and cleared off, with the property being sold off, in part, to the county for a senior center.

When did that occur? I don't recall hearing about that, though maybe it was posted here and I missed it.

I'm very sorry to hear that. It was one of the most intact railroad shops I ever visited. I was fortunate to spend about a month there in the early 1980's filming "Runaway Train". We had the run of the place, so I spent a lot of time wondering around looking at stuff like wood boxcars. They also had some Fox trucks around, can't recall if those were on the boxcars, on something else, or maybe just displayed. In any case, they had some amazing stuff.

They even offered to sell me one of the wood boxcars for a very reasonable price, maybe $500, I don't recall. I do recall, that even then, between the fact it was wood and whatever trucks it did have (archbar maybe? can't recall...) there was no way BN was going to let it go anywhere. Sure, I could have trucked it home, but I was working for a tourist railroad at the time, and was spending what little I was earning on frivolities like food and rent...