It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railroads and baseball
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 1998 12:54 pm 

Hume Kading's 9/8 Briefs message on Houston's<br>Union Station being part of the new baseball<br>stadium being built for the Houston Astros<br>was very interesting. I knew that Houston<br>was getting a new stadium but had no idea<br>that the Union Station was to be a part of<br>it. This is the second stadium to be built recently that has a railroad "connection."<br>The other of course is Baltimore's Camden<br>Yard which uses the B&O's old office build-<br>ing a part of the right field area. And<br>although it apparently wasn't planned that<br>way, I recently was watching a White Sox <br>game on TV from the new Seattle stadium and<br>the diesel horns were coming through the<br>crowd noise like you wouldn't believe!! How<br>close is that place to the tracks anyway?<br>Baseball and railroads go way back of course!<br>I seem to recall a minor league park some-<br>where that had a branch railroad line that<br>ran through the outfield. Play had to be held up when a train came through. And of<br>course, there's the old story of the guy who<br>actully hit a home run that travelled over<br>80 miles (it landed in a hopper car of a <br>freight that was going past a park that had<br>the rail line just BEYOND an outfield wall.)<br>Well I applaud baseball's connection with<br>railroad tradition. Preservation is also<br>Union Stations and Office Buildings. And I<br>don't EVER expect to see a future new ball-<br>park built that will feature a portion of an<br>airport building as part of its persona!<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Railroads and baseball
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 1998 1:13 pm 

The tracks in Seattle go under where the roof retracks! The trains can be seen from inside the stadium through a couple isle ways and often are shown on TV during the games! Hope someday the 4449 can come by during a game!<p>Scott Wickert<br>Shay #23 "The Rebirth"<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 1998 1:44 pm 

Wasn't that a movie, Brewster's Millions, where the train went through the outfield? I recall they had to stop the game and open a gate to let the train cut through. I'm not saying there wasn't a real field this way, but I think it was shown in that movie.<br>

tnold@swbell.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 1998 4:46 pm 

Andy-<br> I know the movie you're talking about but I seem<br>to remember that when I first saw it I remarked to<br>my wife that "I think there actually WAS a base-<br>ball field in the minors that had a rail line that<br>ran through the outfield." But I may very well be<br>wrong! Perhaps some baseball expert out their<br>knows for sure.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 1998 6:57 am 

There is a small clearing surrounded by boulders and bounded on one side by the C&S track between Georgetown and Silver Plume, CO which was the old ball field. GLR still runs a special night train every July 4 from Plume to that area for a picnic. <p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.net