It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Saginaw Timber Co. No. 2 Boiler Lift and Installation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

Congrats to Skip and the Oregon Coast Scenic RR. Talked with Skip today and other than the dynamo not working properly everything else seemed fine. His work on the valves last winter has made the locomotive even better. Wish I was there for the break ins, very happy for everybody in OR and the locomotive. The dynamo has many new parts in it and I am sure it won't be an insurmountable problem to fix. I can't wait till she gets to pull a good load. It has been a long road for the locomotive and Skip, about time to see some miles run. Best of holidays to all. Regards, John.

https://www.facebook.com/OregonCoastSce ... 355723103/

Last edited by John Risley on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:03 pm 

Rich_gitsch wrote:
Rick Rowlands wrote:
If you need a larger enginehouse than a blimp hanger then you would be the first person in history to understand the REAL space requirements of a locomotive shop!

Well, there's only one track in there.

Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to install additional tracks than to build a new building!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm 

Chuck it would be if they owned the building. My understanding the building is leased to a number of entities. I too thought this a long time ago. My what a building to have at ones disposal eh? But if you don't own it you don't own it. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm 

Been following this thread with great interest.
If I may, I'd like to contribute to the discussion, with these shots of the blimp hanger where No.2 is now parked .
It is absolutely enormous...and the framework is built entirely from wood....Largest wooden building in the world..I was told.

My understanding is the interior rail track was used to tow the wartime blimps in and out of the hanger.

There has been a very strong aviation/rail connection right from the beginning.

The track was very useful during the mid 90's... when someone rented space for a railcar rebuilding business.

Attachments:
Tillamook Hanger Railcars 1.jpg
Tillamook Hanger Railcars 1.jpg [ 179.5 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
Tillamook Blimp Hanger.jpg
Tillamook Blimp Hanger.jpg [ 126.76 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
Tillamook Air Museum 1.jpg
Tillamook Air Museum 1.jpg [ 158.63 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06 pm 

The current Blimp Hangar (Hangar B) is owned by the Port of Tilamook Bay and houses their Air Museum. The railcar restoration business was in their other blimp hangar (Hangar A) that burned down in the '90's. The OCSR has a shop/engine house in Garibaldi, Oregon, where we keep the McCloud River #25, the Curtiss Lumber #2 Heisler is stored, and the "Skookum" is nearing completion. It's pretty tight in there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8