It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: EAST BROAD TOP BEING SOLD PIECE BY PIECE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Now that I have your attention:

Quote:
The East Broad Top Preservation Association has purchased its first section of the fabled East Broad Top Railroad, according to Association President Larry Salone. The first segment includes the standard gauge trackage from the Norfolk Southern main line to Route 522 in Mount Union, including the yard in Mount Union. Salone says the next phase of the acquisition will include the railroad from Route 522 to the Aughwick Creek bridge, and he hopes this will be completed in the next 30 days.

More details for subscribers to Trains Magazine at http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20News/N ... 0sold.aspx

EDIT: For those unfamiliar with the area, this includes the famous dual-gauge interchange yard where the remains of many hopper cars remain, as well as the two-stall enginehouse formerly housing standard-gauge switcher #6 (now in Indiana in pieces) and still housing sister switcher #3. Standard gauge rails and ties were inserted along much of this part of the route years ago, in hopes of attracting freight traffic but also apparently to re-assert the railroad's right-of-way existence to prevent paving over when US 522 was "bypassed" around the east side of town.

http://goo.gl/maps/w7hb1 for the yard location in question.

Okay. NOW would someone from the EBTPA please step forward, explain the plans and long-term strategy, and hit us up for our worthwhile donations to the cause? Please? It's time for me to put my money where my mouth has been.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: EAST BROAD TOP BEING SOLD PIECE BY PIECE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 pm 

Wonderful- and astounding news. I'm retired & don't always keep up with the date. It's not April 1 today, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I just posted this to the Baltimore Chapter NRHS page: a ca. 1954 view of the yard in Mt. Union.

Taken from an embankment that used to exist along Franklin Street, the enginehouse is at far right. Remains of that coal ramp/trestle were still visible behind the enginehouse a few years ago. The tracks to the left still have narrow-gauge hopper remains and a few derelict USATC standard-gauge boxcars with trees growing around/through them. The water tank/sand house, timber transfer (far distance), and other buildings are long gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The tracks to the left still have narrow-gauge hopper remains and a few derelict USATC standard-gauge boxcars with trees growing around/through them. The water tank/sand house, timber transfer (far distance), and other buildings are long gone.

Does this include the equipment sitting derelict on the land? Those USATC boxcars I don't think have much relevance to the EBT, but they are standard North American railcars, former B&M, IIRC, not the weird military export cars, and groups that need an example of a 1920's era steel framed wood boxcar should be interested.

I believe the cars match this drawing:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bm/bm-15911.gif

Some pix:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPict ... ?id=224330

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:33 pm 

Judge for yourself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rberdar/3358256685/

http://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... nsylvania/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

As an FYI - the distance from Augwick to the shops
at EBT is about 7.5 miles or just shy of 4 miles
to the current terminus of EBT by the wye.

Great news!

/Mitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Guess they're not the series of B&M cars I thought they were; I could swear I found B&M reporting marks on the inside of the side plates when I looked fifteen or so years ago. Anyway, they are real, honest-to-goodness North American rail cars, not the military "knock down" cars like were surplussed by Cass years ago, and are worth adding to various museum collections if they are made available.

Sorry I highjacked the thread, it is great news that something is happening at the EBT other than size reduction to fit the furnace.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:17 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Sorry I highjacked the thread, it is great news that something is happening at the EBT

Before anyone else calls this "great" news, please google "Larry Salone", review the Form 990s that he has filed with the IRS (available from guidestar.org), and/or simply speak to the East Broad Employees that worked for Mr. Salone during the years that his organization ran the railroad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
Before anyone else calls this "great" news, please google "Larry Salone", review the Form 990s that he has filed with the IRS (available from guidestar.org), and/or simply speak to the East Broad Employees that worked for Mr. Salone during the years that his organization ran the railroad.

Which is why I said,
Quote:
would someone from the EBTPA please step forward, explain the plans and long-term strategy, and hit us up for our worthwhile donations to the cause?

Is this a non-profit? Are they working with, but separate from the FEBT? Is there an agreement for future sales by the EBT to them? What kind of money is involved? Whose? What are the plans, the accounting, the prospectus?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm 

Here is their 2011 form 990.

Attachments:
East Broad Top 2011 990.pdf [775.66 KiB]
Downloaded 1273 times

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 pm 

*sigh*

This sounds like familiar turf...

Anyone remember that there's a Ma & Pa HISTORICAL Society and a Ma & Pa PRESERVATION Society? The former are the modelers, the archivists, and the photo preservationists; the latter are the guys who went and bought track and Muddy Creek Forks, brought in track cars, a locomotive, etc. There's an awful lot of overlap between the two groups, but they have different missions and objectives.

Is there anyone else in this EBTPA besides Larry Salone? Is there a positive relationship between him/them and the FEBT? What are his long-term strategies and proposals? And where does he propose to get the money?

In short, give me reason to work with him, other than "he's buying a great time capsule."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 pm 

So, who'll take a stab at guessing this CPA's top 5 concerns from the 990?

(They are kind of obvious, no green eyeshade, adding machine or abacus required.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 am 

My concern would be the negative number at the end of the day.

Biggest single bit of background info on Mr. Salone I could find.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Larry-Salone/1275515045

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... 07460.html

I think this is the same guy, but honestly can't be sure:

http://news.psu.edu/story/200274/2006/1 ... ate-fellow

http://sharonherald.com/local/x12083616 ... avy-handed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 am 

If a video of Mr. Salone appears online opening two coupler knuckles, we might have to write off his efforts entirely...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:13 am 

Well, fine.

The status quo over the past three decades was NOT working. All it did was give us some great experiences while seemingly delaying the inevitable until the money/goodwill ran out.

Propose a viable alternative. And then tell us why you haven't done anything along those lines for all this time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next