It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bangor and Aroostook 502 and friends.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 pm 

I sent an email to a contact this afternoon, but I hold no personal "sway" with the MM&A. My guess would be that preservation of old prints would be a low, very low, priority at the present.

If I get a response, I'll post it here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Question: how many of those colorful "State of Maine" boxcars are still floating around, either at museums or in other hands?

Richard Glueck wrote:
I know of one at Conway Scenic, and half of one at Derby, used as a steel shed.

Howard P. wrote:
RMNE has a BAR insulated "State of Maine" boxcar, complete with underslung charcoal heater (Can't freeze those Aroostook County spuds during winter transit).

Okay, so that's two (and a half) so far, any others?
I have always considered the "State of Maine" boxcars to be one of the most unique paint schemes conceived for freight rolling stock. Really sticks out in a freight train rolling through a New England cold snap.

Howard P. wrote:
By the way, two days ago I put an original PRR blueprint (for F-30D TTX flatcar lettering) into the mail to North Judson-HVRM; that's the exact print for the car they're working on. It came out of a trove of PRR mechanical dept blueprints two buddies of mine and I rescued in 1977 from a building at Meadows Yard in North Jersey. The building was trashed-- windows all gone, roof leaking, etc, and it was leveled a week after we were there. 80+ four-drawer file cabinets crammed with stuff (some of it ruined, much not) was rescued. Drawings from that stash have since been used to provide proper lettering for restorations at RR Museum of Penna., RMNE, Steamtown NHS, and a few others.

Howard P.

Another example of a last-minute rescue. Glad to hear that someone had the drawing needed for the Pennsy Trailer Train flat at North Judson.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I sent an email to a contact this afternoon, but I hold no personal "sway" with the MM&A. My guess would be that preservation of old prints would be a low, very low, priority at the present.

If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Richard,

But that's the exact point. They are of no real monetary value to the bankruptcy trustee, the MM&A or its successor companies. If anything, if you or someone else can find a group to take the prints, and even pick them up, you could frame it as you are doing them a favor, site cleanup and all.

It's a unique opportunity.

David

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

I would think a university library or a historical society local to Maine would be a better home for this kind of material vs. becoming another item on an existing groups endless to do list.

Why not draw up a proposal, risk a stamp or two and send it to Mr. Ed Burkhardt. For all we know, he might just be a major creditor and hold some sway over the proceedings.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:52 pm 

I have made an overture with two people connected to MM&A. I can tell you without any uncertainty, they are not in a frame of mind to discuss the papers at the moment. I was told to wait until a trustee is appointed, then make an overture again. My thoughts are exactly the same as NH0401's, in that a documents repository, such as the University of Maine's Fogler Library, or the State Library in Augusta, would be safer archiving facilities. As paper, it isn't worth all that much, but as history, it's probably priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 pm 

There's not much left getting. UMaine took some material in 2012 and the Barriger Library in St. Louis got nearly all the other records of value from the BAR. The only thing we didn't get on the collection retrieval trip last September were the drawings from Derby.

We are currently processing in the collection and will post the finding aid on our website once the work is completed.

Take Care
-Nick Fry

Curator, John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library
http://www.umsl.edu/Barriger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:31 pm 

Nick, thank you for coming in on this. Obvious question: Are you going back for seconds? You're quite correct, the empty office spaces are strewn with brochures, insurance reports, cancelled checks, employee records from decades upon decades ago. There is nothing from the steam era other than the blueprints and a few used stencils from BAR freight cars.
I will say, the old car shop building has a complete blacksmith shop, with tools and materials laying in dust. There was a cam from a Stephenson valve gear setup on the floor, and one or two other interesting (but heavy) artifacts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 pm 

That remains to be seen. When we left in September we were planning a return trip around the same time this year. We wanted to digest this material into the library's collection before taking on more. (Also September is probably the best time to be working in buildings with no A/C up there.)

After the tragedy that has befallen our friends in Maine and Quebec, the possibility of a return trip is up in the air at this time.

Take Care
-Nick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 pm 

That being said, here are two of the pictures we got from the collection. We're trying to figure out what's going on. I've asked around to no avail.

If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated.

http://on.fb.me/18nOJfT

Additionally if you are on Facebook, follow the Mercantile Library at https://www.facebook.com/StLouisMercantileLibrary for more updates regarding the Barriger.

Take Care
-Nick Fry

Curator, John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library
http://www.umsl.edu/barriger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 am 

nfry wrote:
That remains to be seen. When we left in September we were planning a return trip around the same time this year. We wanted to digest this material into the library's collection before taking on more. (Also September is probably the best time to be working in buildings with no A/C up there.)

After the tragedy that has befallen our friends in Maine and Quebec, the possibility of a return trip is up in the air at this time.

Take Care
-Nick

I imagine the easiest thing to do is figure out who the Trustee is and ask them. The paper has no "value" to them or the restructuring of the company. You may have to go after September, which may or may not be optimal weather wise.

Still, I'm glad this stuff has found a couple of good homes.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:50 pm 

The Canadian Transportation Agency pulled the MM&A's Certificate of Fitness today, effective 20 August:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/08/13/quebec-lac-megantic-disaster-mma-railway-licence-pulled-certificate-fitness-bankrupt.html

Edited to include the CTA release:

http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/eng/canadian-transportation-agency-suspends

Steve Hunter

Last edited by sbhunterca on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 pm 

I'm wondering if CPR will come back onto the line to take up the business. More likely, New Brunswick Southern will make a bid and get the line. Where I live, traffic is generated on the Searsport docks and heads north. There is some traffic in paper from the north, but nothing like it once was. The Canadian connection was an essential artery. The biggest preservation story here will be the railroad itself!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:01 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
Rainier Rails wrote:
And one last question: how many of those colorful "State of Maine" boxcars are still floating around, either at museums or in other hands?

I can tell you where at least two are in Maine sans trucks at a junk yard being used for storage.

Thanks, Jeff! Okay, so that puts the total thus far at 4 (and a half). Any others?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I'm wondering if CPR will come back onto the line to take up the business. More likely, New Brunswick Southern will make a bid and get the line. Where I live, traffic is generated on the Searsport docks and heads north. There is some traffic in paper from the north, but nothing like it once was. The Canadian connection was an essential artery. The biggest preservation story here will be the railroad itself!

One word: Irving

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 pm 

Quote:
One word: Irving

An Irving takeover would probably be the best outcome possible. They certainly have the bucks to acquire and upgrade the railroad, as long as they were convinced an adequate profit could be made.

Megantic wouldn't be too happy about an Irving takeover, because it would guarantee continuing, possibly expanding, oil traffic over the line to feed Irving's refineries.

Steve Hunter