It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unique steamship engine in danger of scrapping
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 1998 9:11 am 

Sorry to post something non-railroad-related, but I know some of you here were once on the Ahead of the Torch board, and might find this interesting - or more importantly might have contacts that can do something about this situation...<p>The World War II-vintage Great Lakes freighter Cuyahoga (formerly J. Burton Ayers) is to be converted to diesel power this winter. The ship is currently powered by a four-cylinder Lentz-Poppet steam engine, the last of its kind on the Great Lakes, and one of only two remaining in the world. (The other example is in a museum in Germany.) It is also the last traditional open-crank reciprocating steam engine in service on the Great Lakes. Unless somebody comes forward with a plan to preserve it, this unique engine will likely be scrapped once it is removed from the ship.<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

Post subject: Re: unique steamship engine in danger of scrapping
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 1998 11:33 am 

The Cuyahoga was, and still may be, sitting in the harbour in Port Stanley, Ontario about 2 weeks ago. I believe I heard somewhere that Port Stanley is where the conversion is going to be done. I may be wrong about that.<br>

robsterne@hotmail.com