It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teen Volunteers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 1998 8:05 pm 

For the past several months, I have been working on a funding proposal for a VolunTeen program for our organization.<p>As part of the planning process I have developed a preliminary program model.<p>Since I am still in the research stage, I am interested in obtaining some general comments from current teen volunteers and the adults that work closely with them.<p>Here are a couple of questions that I would like to receive some feedback on.<p>Since operation of equipment by teens is generally limited by law; would teens be interested in learning other museum skills such as fundraising, grant writing, landscaping, machine work, museum cataloging techniques, etc? These are all essential roots of any successful museum, yet teens are rarely involved with these activities.<p>A second question is: What type of marketing techniques would be most effective in attracting the teen volunteer.<p>I look forward to your responses.<p>Larry Obermeyer<br>Siouxland Historical Railroad Association<br>Sioux City, IA<br>

lobermeyer@usa.net

Post subject: Re: Teen Volunteers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 1998 9:34 pm 

Autobiographical musings follow--be warned:<p>When I was a teenager growing up in Washington, D.C., some very kind and farsighted people at the National Air and Space Museum allowed me to become involved in their docent/tour guide program, even though I was probably younger by 15 years than anyone else in the program. I learned public speaking and presentation skills which have served me ever since, and I was so grateful for the opportunity and the confidence that I busted my tail to do the best job I could for them.<p>Still later, as a college student (though technically still a teen) I interned at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, and learned the fundimentals of grant writing, collections management, and artifact documentation. Again, I loved every minute of it and worked as hard as I could.<p>I think you'll find the same with your younger recruits: you may not get many, and there may be some you have to turn away or channel away from certain activities which aren't suited to their skills or level of maturity, but you're sure to find some kids who will work their hearts out for you, while learning skills that will serve them for years afterwards.<p>I think it's a fantastic idea you have; best of luck.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org