It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Are there any left?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Oportotrolley516 wrote:
Troll, I have a good grasp of the english language and I didn't see any of the posts that came remotely near suggesting anything like this. There were simply a few comments along the lines of hoping it could be preserved. After all this is Railway PRESERVATION news!

True, but he apparently thought he'd get the obligatory post out of the way first. Because, you know, someone somewhere is sure ready to type it! :)

Though, granted, there's a bit more reason here than on other rail-related online forums, but still......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 am 

Well, until the item can be proved to exist, in relatively complete condition, there's little point in preserving it "NOW!".

However, the first part of preservation is identifying artifacts worthy of preservation, dependent on the interpretive goals of an institution. Somebody probably has a very good use for a 1932 ARA car with Deco ends. If it exists "in the wild" it would be neat to ensure it's future with a well organized group.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
IT EXISTS, THUS IT MUST BE PRESERVED AND SAVED! LET'S SPEND VALUABLE MUSEUM RESOURCES OF MONEY AND VOLUNTEER TIME ON IT! IT MUST BE SAVED NOW! I DEMAND THAT SEVERAL MUSEUMS, NONE OF WHICH I VOLUNTEER AT, NOR CONTRIBUTE TO TAKE IMMEDIATE STEPS TO SAVE THIS CAR NOW. IF THEY DO NOT, THEY WILL LOOSE MY RESPECT!

All I can say is, "Whooee!!"

Actually, if the photos reveal as much as they seem to do (would still want a report from someone who actually got to visit the car), this might not be too big of a project, at least not when compared to some other things. We have what appears to be an intact body with frame, it seems to have all the hardware and may even have the doors (and an air hose shows up in the ground shot!), and the body/frame is resting on track and may well be out of the mud, keeping rust damage to a minimum (we hope!). If we're lucky, all it may need would be to be lifted out, and placed on trucks and have brake gear and a new wooden roofwalk applied for a good start on a cosmetic, perhaps even operational restoration. Considering that it is sitting on track, perhaps a spur meant for maintenance equipment and motor cars cars, there is even a possibility that at least some of the brake gear is still on the car.

Compared with restoring a steam locomotive of any size, it wouldn't be much at all, provided there isn't too much rust. . .of course, it still needs a fair application of that green paper we use called money. . .

I wonder if anybody is watching this, perhaps from the C&OHS?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 pm 

Oportotrolley516 wrote:
Troll, I have a good grasp of the english language and I didn't see any of the posts that came remotely near suggesting anything like this. There were simply a few comments along the lines of hoping it could be preserved. After all this is Railway PRESERVATION news!

My comments were meant in pure tongue in cheek in response to the Sanford and Son clip.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:31 am 

I am very sorry if my posts have made it seem like I am saying that everything must be dropped at once and that we should all save this car. My only hope through all of this topic is that I could find out if any of these cars survive. The fact that one does exist was a happy coincidence. After I found that out, my new goal was to make people become aware of this car. By keeping it in the back of peoples minds, there is a greater chance that this car has a hope of being preserved. I do not want this box car to end up like this very unique Katy car and be forgotten! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34701&p=192628&hilit=Katy#p192628 Btw, I am still curious to what has happened to this car and the others!
Again, I am sorry if this topic has caused problems with some people, dont worry wilkinsd, I understand.

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am 

Here is the aerial view, zoomed in some and rotated 180 degrees: Google Aerial View, rotated 180 degrees so that South is "up"

As in the photo Appalachianrails shared, there is a yellow stairway (into the car on the right). The blue thing in the background (on the far left side of Appalachianrail's photo) is a dumpster.

Les Beckman wrote:
Using the Link that Jeff furnished, and the original photo of the car there at the CSX Russell, Kentucky continuous rail welding site, I think that 10stewi may have a point. That is, if I have the right car. I think he is talking about the car that is in the group of four cars parked next to each other where the road (?) marked Butler Avenue would bisect it, IF it continued on to the cars. The little blue building in both photos, seems to confirm that this is the car. So, between the two pix, we can see that 3 of the sides of the car on both sides of the original doors are intact but we just can't see the fourth side. The argument put forth by 10stewi (that it would make no sense that the fourth side is missing since the cars do not touch) is certainly plausible. But it sure would be nice to know for sure. Anyone like to go and request permission to take a peek? Like it was said; perhaps a complete car body and couplers and probably underframe and a car still existing with these unique Deco Ends. So, a possibility at least! Will wait to hear more.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
Here is the aerial view, zoomed in some and rotated 180 degrees: Google Aerial View, rotated 180 degrees so that South is "up"

As in the photo Appalachianrails shared, there is a yellow stairway (into the car on the right). The blue thing in the background (on the far left side of Appalachianrail's photo) is a dumpster.

Chris -

Thanks for the additional photo. Unfortunately, the car in question is the one parked next to the car with the yellow stairway and on the other side, hard against the car with the "red" roof and with its door standing open that is sitting next to the automobiles. We still can't verify if the one side not yet seen against that car, is intact or has been removed. I think we are going to need someone in there to take a look and/or a photo.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Thanks for the additional photo. Unfortunately, the car in question is the one parked next to the car with the yellow stairway and on the other side, hard against the car with the "red" roof and with its door standing open that is sitting next to the automobiles. We still can't verify if the one side not yet seen against that car, is intact or has been removed. I think we are going to need someone in there to take a look and/or a photo.

I concur that the aerial is no substitute for an on-site inspection.

FYI, the angle of google aerial views can be changed by dragging the little "N" in the on-map compass. Here are the other two angles:

Google Aerial - North Oriented to the Right Side of the Screen

Google Aerial - North Oriented to the Left Side of the Screen

It looks promising but, as you said, an on-site inspection is really needed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 pm 

Anyone live near Russell, Ky? He said with a grin

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:20 am 

Those box cars in Ohio got me thinking about this old thread.

I wonder if anyone has had the chance to check up on this one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm 

Something that turned up here, an article on this series from the C&O Historical Society:

http://files.constantcontact.com/654d25 ... 90d093.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm 

J3a-614:

Neat article. Of course, author Krese may not have realized that an example of one of the 5400 series cars may still have existed, since it was published in 2001. We've never had anyone check it out. Perhaps the entire "welded rail plant" there in Russell, doesn't even exist anymore.

Les