It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lessons from the 1616
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 1998 7:43 pm 

My purpose here is not to slam the B&O Museum, but I do believe that there are important lessons to learn as a result of selling of L&N #1616. I do agree that largely the save everything mentality is wrong. It makes collections reach the point where they are totally unmanagable. But we do have a number of responsibilities as preservations. <p>First and foremost, if someone wishes to donate a piece from paper to PA do not be afraid to decline on the basis that it does not fit within your collection focus. I understand that if an estate is given post mortum that executors don't understand this concept. Most wills will be much more specific. This relieves you of getting into a situation where you have a Northern Pacific caboose in south Florida. It would be better to go to the donor and say some thing like:" We feel that this piece better serve XYZ Museum because their collection of widgets is second to none". You see the concept I hope.<p>Second, should you be given something in the past that you wish to get rid of take care to see that the donor agrees with the disposition. I know this will create major fury but I feel you owe them that because you told them you would hold the item in "public trust". This is VERY important if you wish to get them to donate in the future. It gives the donor an attitude of "well I gave them this nice widget and they turned around and sold it; It will be a cold day in..."well you get the idea.<p>Third, when are we ever going to work together? I guess you may have read that me and Jim Wrinn are, in a word, friends. I am not a paranoid person. I do not think Jim is out to out do me, and goodness knows I am not out to out do him. Please stop looking over your shoulders, because what is important is in front of you. WORK TOGETHER. <p>Lastly, visit the ARM's Recommended Practices for Museums. It is good reading and Paul Hammond at ARM should be commended for work toward standards and practices.<p>One other thing, if money is what you need, focus on fund raising. You will need it to have a positive impact on volunteering, acquistions, and a good public image.<p>I am off the soap box. <br>

minterjr@mindspring.com