It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CNW R1 4-6-0 175
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:36 pm 

Hi Guys, What is the status of Chicago & North Western R1 4-6-0 number 175 that was stored on the Copper Range Railroad back in the early 1970’s? Thanks – David Notarius, London UK, ex New Hope PA

Post subject: Re: CNW R1 4-6-0 175
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:12 pm 

To the best of my knowledge it is still in Hancock, MI near the remains of the Quincy Smelter complex, along with the NP tender. Have not heard of any movement of the locomotive or any other info for that matter. Then again I am not in the "know" about a lot of things!

It is almost ready to be moved as the boiler is ready to come off the frame and the boiler and running gear is stripped of major appliances. Wish it would get to the other side of the canal, not sure how much longer the state will be willing to raise/lower that bridge between Hancock/Houghton. They raised it for the removal of Copper Range #29 a few years back. Think Clint Jones still is owner. Key word is "think". Have not talked to Clint in some time and have not been up there for a couple of years as well. Hope this sparks some more recent facts. Near perfect sized locomotive in many ways.

Cheers, John,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm 

Funny you should ask. I just posted this photo the other day from July 2012:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jterry618/8203559253/

Jeff Terry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 pm 

What's the deeal with the C&NW engines without their tenders? I think the 1015 in St. Louis finally got a tender, but I'm not sure it's from one of her class or another one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:50 pm 

While I was at MTU (2002-06) I came across her and the 29. A couple of professors knew of the engines and said that Clint owned them. I was told that the 175 was bought to be the motive power when the 29 would be down for repairs, but before the 175 could be restored, the Keweenaw Central went belly up. Supposedly most of the parts that are not on the locomotive are kept in a safe area. While I was up there, the engine and the smelter were not fenced off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:11 am 

Was told the CN&W loco at St Louis had its original tender, but was scrapped many years ago. Don't know why for sure, heard they needed money and the tender was pretty much scrap condition. May or may not be true.

I asked Clint about the #175s tender and don't recall the story, but it seems it too has been long gone. Saw pictures of the #175 in Winona, MN and it still had the original tank. Think this was in mid 1960s?

Far as I know the #1385 and #444 have their orginal tenders. Research was done and the original tender that came with the #1385 had been with the engine since something like the mid 1920's and quite possibly original since built. The tender in use since 1972 was originally an oil burning tender from a R-1 class, but was built as an oil fired loco tender. It was last used on a pile driver and came to MC in about 1972. The #1385 has a new tank built and I think is basically finished except what work needs to be done to existing trucks or replacement trucks. Frame and most of the hardware attached came from original tender, steps, sytrine valves, hand rails ect and applied to new tank/frame assembly. Or at least that was the plan.

Probably just coincidence and poor condition through the ages that determined that two of the four remaining standard gauge CN&W loco's lost the orginal tenders. Considering the #175 is the newest of the remaining R-1 class locomotives and was built in 1908, I think it is remarkable that two of them have what is probably original tenders.

Nice pics of the Quincy Smelter complex. Almost looks like the group trying to restore the complex may have put some replacement steel roofing on? When I was there last, the fence was not there and many of the buildings were missing pieces of steel roofing. One of the coolest industrial sites I had the pleasure of visiting. Back in early 1970's had been there and explored the nearly intact Quincy and Torch Lake round house and shops kind of between the smelter and the Winch house. All the Torch Lake stuff was just laying around including the loco torn apart in the round house. Even with all the scrapping that had and has taken place in the UP, it is still a virtual museum of industrial history, although so very much of it has been scrapped a long time ago. Hard country for sure. Cheers, John.