It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worcester County Electric Company No. 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm 

Does anyone have any information on this industrial tank engine that is in Pennsylvania? I understand that it was at one point part of the Steamtown collection before it was auctioned off in 1988. I ask as it is one of only three locomotives that (as far as I know) have operated in Worcester County, MA and still exist. If I am correct in my information, it at one point operated the powerplant that was connected by a railroad bridge (which still stands in a state of disrepair) across Curtis Pond near Webster Square to the Boston and Albany. According to the notes, this engine was at one point under restoration, but needed a new drypipe to be made operational.
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive ... splay=1049

Post subject: Re: Worcester County Electric Company No. 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm 

The locomotive is in terrible shape now. When the built the new convention center in oaks they moved the dead track the kettle and a few ither pieces sat on. Most are in the mud not on rail. Pretty sad. Watched it get worse and the owner won't sell.

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:29 pm 

Preston J. McEvoy wrote:
The locomotive is in terrible shape now. When the built the new convention center in oaks they moved the dead track the kettle and a few ither pieces sat on. Most are in the mud not on rail. Pretty sad. Watched it get worse and the owner won't sell.

Did he ever give a reason why? And is there any other damage that has been coming through the cracks, so to speak, other than the obvious rust issue that afflicts most outdoor engines?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 pm 

Lots of theft! No stack, headlight, jewlery, piping etc. In a nutshell, if it comes off its off. Rust is a major issue, smoke box, valve chest, you name it!

From some people who inquired about his other equipment he has a "I'll fix it up some day" mind set.

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:07 am 

Well, this is how No. 1 looks as of May 17th, 2019. She's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination...