It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the L&N U-Boat Historic?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 1998 10:49 am 

Well, rumor aside we will find out if the U-Boat is a goner.<p>Here's a question. Is L&N #1616 really historic, outside of L&N circles?<p>The very first (or first production, I forget) U-25B is at the Lakeshore museum and there is at least one other preserved.<p>Is this an act of historical treason?<br>I don't think so (if it is true).<p>I would love to hear why this unit is so precious.<p>Rob<br>

not@here.com

Post subject: Re: Is the L&N U-Boat Historic?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 1998 12:15 pm 

Does it really matter whether it is technically historical or not? In 25 or so years, how many of these units will be preserved? If this had been an ex-C&O unit and a museum out west had sold it to scrap, would people in the northeast be asking questions? I think so.<p>The main issue here, and one that's been discussed previously, is how should museums acquire and deassession equipment. Is it appropriate in a well-run museum to not offer equipment of any kind to museums or other organizations before selling to scrap? I think it is our obligation to do so.<p>Remember, non of these units or any other used rail equipment can be recreated. Once it is gone, it is gone forever.<p>From one of your previous submissions:<br>"If you have the place to stash, which the B&0 does, why not grab it? No harm done in that... irreversable harm done in letting it go.<p>You should grab all you can before it is too late."<p>I agree with these comments, but the current situtation is seems to be completely counter to that!<br><br>

davej@gatewaynetworks.com

Post subject: I can see that Re: Is the L&N U-Boat Historic?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 1998 11:38 pm 

Dave,<p>I can see where my posts were incongruous, I guess I was playing Devil's advocate a bit too strongly. I was taken aback by the passion for the 1616. The B&O did save the piece, as I would like all to do, and when the time came to do something they did. Maybe that's the best we could do.<p>In the long run, the facts seem to say the B&O did do the right thing.<p>Hard choices,<p>Rob<p><br>

inlinebob@aol.com