It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T LNE bobber caboose drawing needed.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm 

Does anybody have a line drawing, plan, of the four wheel bobber cabooses, once run by Lehigh New England? I am going to try to construct a pair in 1/8th scale, but can't find the specifics. Your kind help is solicited.

Post subject: Re: O/T LNE bobber caboose drawing needed.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:47 pm 

I assume you mean the roads most famous class, #'s 511-516? I have often wondered if a set exists in the ACF archive at the John W. Barriger III Memorial Railroad Library at UMSL. I havent had the time to make a trip to St. Louis to find out. The closest I have found is a set for an ACF built C&P bobber, which seems to be nearly identical. If you run across a set I would really appreciate knowing about it as it would help immensely with my restoration project. I can supply rough demensions when I have a chance.

EDIT: As mentioned below you could always get rough demensions from 512 at the WK&S, or one of the other three in private hands. Shoot me a PM.

Last edited by alcoguy1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm 

The Wanamaker, Kempton and Southern has one. You could get measurements from a real one.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm 

A quarter-inch scale drawing of a wooden LNE bobber is published in the December 1950 issue of Model Railroader – a three-quarter view of bobber 511 is also provided.

The car is 20’ 6’ long over the coupler pockets, 9’ 3” wide, and 11’ 9” high over the running board.

If you don’t have access to a hard copy, drop an email and maybe we can make a scan.

Jim K

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm 

Thank you, everyone who offered information and assistance. It appears I will get a scanned drawing from a 62 year old issue of Model Railroader, of all places! Assuming I can move ahead for that information, I'll post pictures of the model progress.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:35 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Does anybody have a line drawing, plan, of the four wheel bobber cabooses, once run by Lehigh New England? I am going to try to construct a pair in 1/8th scale, but can't find the specifics. Your kind help is solicited.

A great number of L&NE drawings including one for the 4-wheel caboose are available from the Pennsylvania State Archives in Harrisburg, Pa. The actual drawing shows that they actually borrowed a LV plan. Search Google and you will find the website.

For those not aware the PA State Archives has a great deal of railroad historical records - primarily engineering files. PRR, NYC, RDG, LV, LNE, B&S and Baldwin are among the records.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 am 

Richard,

I created a jpeg scan of my copy and emailed it to you via your home channel. The original scan file is 3.6MB and it has sharp detail. The email version is 300-oddKB and looked okay when enlarged.

Checked a couple other resources and found a great colored photo of LNE 514 circa 1960s in Doug Lilly’s (1988) “The Lehigh and New England Railroad” by Garrigues House Publishers – see pp 66-67.

The flat roofed car is faded red with weathered black canvas top and white strip around the bottom edge of the car; worn white handrails, grabs, and ladder; and the LNE fried egg on the side.

According to the caption, the LNE had 26, 4-wheeled bobbers in service. Apparently 6 survived in MW service until the 60’s. I knew about the car Tom mentioned on the WK&S, but did not know about the two other survivors – one at Memorytown in the Poconos and the other outside Moorestown, PA. Don’t know if they still exist.

Also briefly checked Taber’s index without much luck.

Hope this info meets your needs.

JK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:07 am 

I received the file without problems. It will help me immensely. My research says much the same, that at least two other still exist in collections, but in questionable condition.
These must have remained in branch line service, picking up way-freight, hoppers of coal, and delivering them into junction points. They'd be nicely matched behind a small Camelback steam locomotive in the day.

Again, thank you to everyone with your assistance. The only other thing I would need would be LNE tech drawings, but for a model, these will do.

Dick

Last edited by Richard Glueck on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 am 

The Shore Line Trolley Museum has one on the Branford Electric Rwy. Ass'n. in Branford, Conn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 pm 

Richard: would a drawing & pics of the D&H No. 10 bobber be helpful?
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 am 

Skip: I'll gladly accept the drawing of a D&H "bobber", although I am not planning on building such a car at this time. My friend with a foundry is getting ready to construct molds for the "harp" style journal frame. I could really use accurate dimensional drawings of that.
I have parts cut out of wood and caboose #1 is underway. #2 is partially cut out, but I am lagging in assembling that body.
Pictures coming when I have something worthy of showing to the public.
My email address is being PM'd.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 pm 

Okay guys, here is where the first of two LNE bobbers stands as of today. Tomorrow, the cupola roof gets cloth, then painted black. The sides get painted an appropriate shade of caboose/boxcar red. The grab irons are made and ready for installation, as are ladders which don't appear in the only photo I can find of an LNE bobber with cupola. Still there was a cat walk, so unless you were a cat, the a ladder would figure. The frame is in place, but the journal harps and journal boxes have yet to be cast. The window frames are going to be cast as well.

The sister bobber, sans cupola, is missing an appropriate roof while I finish this one for a train show. Scale is 1/8th, for live steam.

When did the LNE circle herald (the meatball) get applied to bobbers? Is it appropriate for this version?

I am also completing a Long Island Rail Road ALCO C420 in 1/8th scale. If there is interest, I'll be happy to add pictures to this thread. I realize these are "little trains" and perhaps only representations of some in preservation or lost to preservation. Thus, I've headed it as off topic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 pm 

Looking good Richard !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 am 

Richard: How's your bobber coming along? Any more pics of the progress?
I just saw an e-mail newsletter from Garden Railways that has a set of plans for a Maryland & Pennsylvania bobber. The trucks aren't the harp style. Take a look & let me know what they are called.
Kevin

http://grw.trains.com/How%20To/Full-Siz ... tm_content

http://grw.trains.com/~/media/Files/PDF ... boose2.pdf

Attachments:
M&P bobber_caboose2.pdf [414.69 KiB]
Downloaded 419 times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:45 am 

Skip: First off, thank you for spotting this plan and bringing it to my attention. I may do something like this as a future project.
It's funny you brought the topic up today, as I'm heading over to Odd Duck Foundry this morning, where we will cast a first copy of the journal pedestals (harp) in iron. Since it's iron, I won't have a an immediate copy. The "duck" likes iron to cool by itself in the sand for about 24 hours.
As for the cabooses, I have been building the windows from wood, as the attempt to cast multiple copies in aluminum just didn't meet expectations. The second caboose is constructed but as of yet is not painted, nor roofed. Here are some shots of the cupola version from early in the winter. It is further along than this today, but I have not taken pictures.

What can you say about a wonderful wife who allows her husband space in the kitchen, to work on his train passion?

I'll try to keep you better informed of how things move on the project, and once again, thank you for thinking of me.

www.oddduckfoundry.com <---Peter casts 3" scale RR signs and other 1.5" scale trucks for live steam.