It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: B&LE 643
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 pm 

Rather than hijack the other thread in which she is mentioned, I started this. I know somebody had a very positive and "just around the corner" Facebook page going on 643. I believe this was kept up by a youngster who knows the owner of the locomotive, and has chosen to place his faith in the the owner's promises. So....
...has anything developed regarding a gorgeous locomotive left out in the elements? Is she tarped? Is she lubed and oiled regularly? Is she being vandalized? Would a "steam friendly" NS be inclined to move her into a better storage situation?

In short, does anyone know anything about B&LE 643 other than she sits outdoors for no good reason?

Post subject: Re: B&LE 643
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:44 pm 

I did a little googling found a few things.

http://members3.boardhost.com/Bessemer/ ... 60278.html

The wheels are churnng, it seems, but you know like the PRR 4-6-2, gotta let the time take its time.

Another post there says the engine is now "landlocked" disconnected, but if anybody can move a big boy by truck, nothing is impossible.

When 765 was moved from Lawton Park a temporary track was built to bring it out, this was done actually pretty fast, with crews there to do it right. But the track nearby wasn't an active main that it came out on and I think the track 643 is near is pretty active. If you are going to move it by rail, you may be better to panel track it to a side track location, how IRM moved the Santa Fe 4-8-4 from the Museum of Science and Industry.

In the mean time we all wait, but it does seem something is afoot. What it all ends up is the mystery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 pm 

643 sits on a spur next to CSX's mainline so NS wouldn't really be a factor. If and when CSX's National Gateway project gets into Pittsburgh, the 2 mains are supposed to be lowered in the immediate area whete the spur 643 sits on used to tie in. The spur actually ties into a running track next to the one main. One switch point needs to be reinstalled and a few dozen ties installed to physically get the engine out. I warned Glen about 2 years ago that the day is fast approaching that she will not be able to leave the property by rail. What, if anything, has been done since is beyond me. Some say Glen is very well connected in Pittsburgh so it will be interesting to see if anything happens before it's too late.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:59 pm 

I don't know any of the persons involved, but if the cited url is supposed to be a public voice for 643, it really requires some editing. The spelling and grammar are deficient, and that makes a bad first impression to any potential participants. The same text is repeated on the Facebook page.

I realize not everyone is a writer, but the first step is realizing one's limits and seeking help. Unfortunately, that same comment applies to many of the activities we discuss and appears to be a common thread for 643.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:35 pm 

Proper punctuation and grammar have become quite optional in this day and age of texting and IM'ing. These things may still be taught today, but it's obviously not engrained in students as anything important.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 am 

softwerkslex wrote:
I don't know any of the persons involved, but if the cited url is supposed to be a public voice for 643, it really requires some editing. The spelling and grammar are deficient, and that makes a bad first impression to any potential participants. The same text is repeated on the Facebook page.

I realize not everyone is a writer, but the first step is realizing one's limits and seeking help. Unfortunately, that same comment applies to many of the activities we discuss and appears to be a common thread for 643.

Well, if you look who the author of the URL is, that should explain everything.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:33 am 

dinwitty wrote:
I did a little googling found a few things.

http://members3.boardhost.com/Bessemer/ ... 60278.html

The wheels are churnng, it seems, but you know like the PRR 4-6-2, gotta let the time take its time.

Another post there says the engine is now "landlocked" disconnected, but if anybody can move a big boy by truck, nothing is impossible.

When 765 was moved from Lawton Park a temporary track was built to bring it out, this was done actually pretty fast, with crews there to do it right. But the track nearby wasn't an active main that it came out on and I think the track 643 is near is pretty active. If you are going to move it by rail, you may be better to panel track it to a side track location, how IRM moved the Santa Fe 4-8-4 from the Museum of Science and Industry.

In the mean time we all wait, but it does seem something is afoot. What it all ends up is the mystery.

You need to take anything and everything that man says with a grain of salt. He claims to be a very good friend of Ross Rowland (Ross can confirm or deny this, as I know he comes on here) and swore up one side and down another that CSX had agreed to allow the GBX to be steam powered if and when it comes to fruition. And that is just the tip of the iceberg of what this man has claimed in the past.

Post subject: Re: B&LE 643 out West?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:20 am 

As an aside, if anyone can locate early logos for the Grand Canyon Ry., close inspection will show that the steam locomotive depicted is none other than 643. There was some consideration many years ago about trying to acquire her. Now that would have been a substantial machine!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 am 

And I'm certain that the track guys at Grand Canyon are thrilled it never made it out there. Unless you have a permanent way designed and built and maintained for heavy ore drags, this isn't the right fit for you.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am 

Is this the same locomotive that was (allegedly) headed to Steamtown (not necessarily for operation, but for display or storage) at one point? Or is that just the rumor mill blowing an especially large cloud of smoke? Just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:04 pm 

No you are correct. It was a news item maybe 15 years ago.

Grand Canyon: I would like to see that logo. Can not believe it would make any practical sense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm 

Dave wrote:
And I'm certain that the track guys at Grand Canyon are thrilled it never made it out there. Unless you have a permanent way designed and built and maintained for heavy ore drags, this isn't the right fit for you.

Dave, have you ever ridden the GCR? While I'll go along with that the 643 is a pretty heavy machine, their ROW would have supported heavier locomotives than they already had. I say this from having visited there 11-12 times before I worked for them in the locomotive shop as a hostler helper/mech in 1999. I disagree with your feeling that she was not the right fit. ATSF regularly ran ten-coupled locomotives between Williams and the Canyon and their 2-10-2s were even bigger than SP's.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:43 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
No you are correct. It was a news item maybe 15 years ago.

Grand Canyon: I would like to see that logo. Can not believe it would make any practical sense.

Steven, that logo was there from almost day one. Also, I got my info from friends on the steam crew who worked there before I did. GCR was looking for bigger power at the outset and also considered NdeM 4-8-4s among others.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:43 pm 

The admin of the Facebook page has the same poor spelling and grammar as one of the people posting on the page. Funny how that is, either more than one person involved with the 643 has terrible spelling and grammar, or perhaps, there is one person who is talking to himself in multiple persona's.

https://www.facebook.com/BLE643

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 pm 

I believe we all have a concern about 643, but I would love to hear it straight from owner, Mr. Campbell himself, whats up and whats the plans, just as the original poster here.
Everything else is rather peripherial hedging.

-edit-

just read at some time 765 sported 643's whistle. Which would be pretty neet thing to do.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next