It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clinchfield 4-6-0 #1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm 

The story I heard many times was that the #1 (one spot) was found to have a badly cracked frame and that is why it was sidelined.

I rode behind this engine for many, many miles. It was an amazing steam program where the riders could hob-knob with railroad executives and hill-billies of every stripe. It was a hoot. Appalachian railroading at it's very best.

They reported at the time that the interest in restoring the engine came from the fact that the little engine was sitting in the weeds with trees growing through the frame...they just felt an emotional desire to put her back on the main line. Most of the restoration materials were sourced from local venders and customers or fabricated by the diesel shop. It was a real home team effort.

Even though it was a small engine they were adventerous with the One Spot. Some excursions were offered out of Erwin with no diesel helpers and 2 cars (coach and a Pullman parlor car--that still had ice AC). On the way back it was all down hill so an open car and a wooden caboose (standard Clinchfield equipment) was added on the back. This mainline roller-coaster was a thrill ride...plunging through those tunnels on that open gondola at whatever speed we were going...was something I will never forget. I have never (before or since) dumped so many cinders out of my pockets.

For the 1975 NRHS convention in Knoxpatch they brought the One Spot down with a helper and that modern office car. An excursion over the L&N to Friendsville was done with 2 coaches (and no diesel). It was the last train ever to Friendsville, the scrappers pulled the rail up minutes after the train left town.

They pushed the little engine to it's limits, that is no doubt. I heard that the bell would "clang" every time they hit a soft spot in the ballast. So I was not surprised to learn that the frame was cracked. Now...why can't it be repaired?

Erwin would be a great home for the engine. Not sure if they have a place to run it or not. Sadly the transfer table is gone...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:39 am 

It should balso be noted that the CRR steam program helped save a number of heavyweight coaches from the "Family Lines" that otherwise would have gone to scrap. Several L&N modernized heavyweight cars were used in the program and survive at KRM and GSMR. The Clinchfield removed the sealed windows on these cars and put "bus windows" on them to make them back into open windo coaches.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm 

Termite7 wrote:

Erwin would be a great home for the engine. Not sure if they have a place to run it or not. Sadly the transfer table is gone...

Did I mention that the engine was built in Logansport, Indiana?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:58 pm 

You did mention that...but I ignored it. And I will continue to ignore it.

T7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 pm 

Termite7 wrote:
You did mention that...but I ignored it. And I will continue to ignore it.

T7

T7 -

Built in the Columbus, Chicago & Indiana Central shops in Logansport, Indiana in August of 1882 as CC&IC #423.

Became Chicago, St. Louis & Pittsburgh Railroad #423 in 1883.

Then to the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway in October of 1890. The PCC&StL was known at "The Panhandle" and became an integral part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. In 1899, PCC&StL #423 was renumbered as 543.

In March of 1900, the engine was sold to the Ohio River & Charleston Railway in Johnson City, Tennessee as their number 5.

Sold to the South & Western in 1905. The S&W changed its name to the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio in 1908 and the Ten-Wheeler continued to carry the number 5.

Sold to the Black Mountain Railway in April of 1913 and renumbered as 1.

Retired in 1955 and put on display in Erwin, Tennessee.

Might as well know what you are ignoring.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:04 pm 

Termite7 wrote:
For the 1975 NRHS convention in Knoxpatch they brought the One Spot down with a helper and that modern office car. An excursion over the L&N to Friendsville was done with 2 coaches (and no diesel). It was the last train ever to Friendsville, the scrappers pulled the rail up minutes after the train left town.
Wow, never heard that before. Did the riders know it was the last train ever?
I had to look the town up, it has less than 1000 residents, so puling up track there in the 70s comes as little surprise.
1942:
I assume this is the same spot now:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm 

I don't think Erwin is a good home unless they plan on restoring it to run, but IIRC in the article link from the first page it sounds like they just want to display it, if so theres no reason it should leave, it's beautifully displayed and covered so i'm happy where it sits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 pm 

SCVR wrote:
I don't think Erwin is a good home unless they plan on restoring it to run, but IIRC in the article link from the first page it sounds like they just want to display it, if so theres no reason it should leave, it's beautifully displayed and covered so i'm happy where it sits.
I agree fully.
Don't forget, Erwin is where many CRR steam locomotives met their end. My dad has told me many times over the years about seeing lines of articulated and standard engines sitting rusting away in the yards. Ziel's book, "Twilight of Steam Locomotives" also talks about this with a couple of photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:37 pm 

Lee, it's the same place, but you're looking in the opposite direction. Notice the buildings are different and even the road changes, as it flattens out after the first intersection.

Here's an aerial shot. You were looking towards the right, the original shot was looking to the left.

Also notice the little chunk of track they installed as a memorial to the railroad.

Attachment:
Fullscreen capture 7312012 32534 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 7312012 32534 PM.jpg [ 247.64 KiB | Viewed 8049 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm 

Friendsville was so named because there was a Quaker school there...and the Quakers are actually "The Society of Friends" or something like that.

I am told that the conventioneers on the train did know the scrappers were waiting for the train to leave. The L&N had been "begged" to allow the trip to happen...and it was just luck that it happened at all. They held off on the scrapping as long as they could. I am also told that the One Spot had a little trouble getting the train up the hill and slipped a lot. A local high school band was there for the event...and every time the train backed back into town to make another run at the hill they struck up another tune. By the time the train got over the hill...the band was out of steam as well. A good time was had by all.

Also close to Friendsville was the John J. Graig Marble company...they owned a shay I am told (before my time).

That other town in Iowa or Illinois...wherever...may have been instrumental in the building of the #1...but without the efforts of the old heads in the CC&O backshop she would be razorblades by now. She was forgotten and lost to the ages. But a community effort of railroad men...in a railroad town pooled all their resources to return her to service. Erwin...was a true railroad town. Isolated deep in the Appalachian Mountains there was only one other business of note...Erwin Potteries. So railroading...and moving coal was the only thing going. Now they have a Walmart and a haunted Pizza Hut...so having a steamer (and a small railroad museum) would be a noce tourist draw. Besides...that other place already has a few rusty choo choos...they need another?

Boo?

T7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 pm 

Locomotives were not the only unusual beasts to mee their end in Erwin, TN.

Poor Mary.

[img]

[/img]

Attachments:
Elephantmary.jpg
Elephantmary.jpg [ 47.76 KiB | Viewed 7943 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm 

Oh!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 am 

Ah, Mary the Elephant. That story is close to 100 years old now. My folks were born and raised in Elizabethton, not far from Erwin, and that story is very well known there.
http://blueridgecountry.com/archive/mary-the-elephant.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm 

Termite7 wrote:
I am told that the conventioneers on the train did know the scrappers were waiting for the train to leave. The L&N had been "begged" to allow the trip to happen...and it was just luck that it happened at all. They held off on the scrapping as long as they could.

Sounds like the last runs of the Spirit of Washington Dinner trains on the Woodinville Branch. The day after it finished running BNSF crews came in and ripped up the storage tracks it used. The line was severed soon after and the south end is now abandoned past the Boeing plant.

Quote:
Erwin...was a true railroad town. Isolated deep in the Appalachian Mountains there was only one other business of note...Erwin Potteries. So railroading...and moving coal was the only thing going. Now they have a Walmart and a haunted Pizza Hut...so having a steamer (and a small railroad museum) would be a noce tourist draw.

Would it be much of a draw? How far "deep in the Appalachian Mountains" are you willing to go to see a stuffed and mounted Clinchfield #1 and a small collection of railroad items?

I admire the town's desire to honor the railroad history of the place. They deserve kudos for that. But thinking a small museum, without an operating railroad, will do much of anything to help the town seems well intentioned but mis-guided to me...

Quote:
Besides...that other place already has a few rusty choo choos...they need another?

Well, they seem to do OK at cleaning them up when they get them. They're not big on operation, but as far as displays go, they're on the ball!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm 

I read that elephant story and I found it repulsive. A classic example of animal cruelty and ignorance.

Not a rail related comment, but I just could not let it go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next