All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maine NG RR Museum to Move to Gray, ME
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
diningcartim wrote:
Rick A wrote:
Recent pictures of the Portland site.

All of the photos are password locked.

Let's try this - unfortunately it looks like you have to be a member to enlarge the photos:

https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/maine-narrow-gauge-rr-museum.129827/

I can see them fine. Nice pictures of Monson #3 and that snowplow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:25 pm 

I think a lot of the museum equipments going to be put into a pool with the WW&F and they will keep a small selection of the equipment to run train rides maybe some displays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 pm 

In case anyone missed this from a previous link.

Hi All,

I'm the Asst. Trainmaster at the WW&F Railway Museum in Alna Maine (WW&F) - we are in partnership with Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum in Portland (MNG) to better preserve the historic Maine Two-Foot Narrow Gauge Railroads that once dotted our landscape.

Some answers:
1. The former MNG museum site is currently under redevelopment. However, their train ride along the Portland waterfront is being expanded and enhanced, with a new ticket office/station (at the cruise ship terminal) and maintenance/storage (at the other end of the railroad.)

2. In the interim MNG has limited indoor storage.

3. As part of this, MNG is now exhibiting many pieces of their collection at the WW&F. This partnership has produced some spectacular opportunities, including a "Grand Reunion" of all 5 of the surviving locomotives from the Maine Two-Footers. (3 of which were under steam.) Look for more great events in 2020 and beyond.

4. Also in 2020, the WW&F will be opening a new exhibit barn, displaying the prized pieces of both collections. This includes the parlor car Rangeley.

Please come and visit us in Maine anytime in Portland or Alna - we'd love to see you on the Narrow Gauge.

-Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm 

Thanks for cross-posting my response.

As I am not affiliated with Maine Narrow Gauge RR Co. & Museum "MNG" (other than a member and occasional volunteer) I can not speak about the move to Gray, ME or anything in that regard.

That said, I will clarify:
Quote:
I think a lot of the museum equipments going to be put into a pool with the WW&F and they will keep a small selection of the equipment to run train rides maybe some displays.

"Pool" isn't really an accurate description. The "core collection" as identified by MNG, includes several very historic locomotives and pieces of rolling stock that had been previously on display in the MNG museum building in Portland, or hidden away in their enginehouse. Because that site is now being redeveloped, MNG and the WW&F entered an agreement where the WW&F agrees to house and display this equipment on its site in Alna, Maine. This started in mid-2019, including the arrival of the famed parlor car Rangeley.

As part of this collaboration, the WW&F is transforming and expanding its car barn to an exhibit hall. This work is underway, photo taken yesterday 2/5/2020:
(photo by Brendan Barry.)

We expect that the exhibit hall will be open to the public in Spring 2020.

Because the MNG exhibit building did not feature live rail access (and required a great deal of acrobatics to bring equipment in and out of it) the prospect of having the MNG core collection on live rails has presented several wonderful joint opportunities to promote both organizations. The first of these is the "Maine Two Foot Winter: The Grand Reunion" where all the operational historic equipment from both organizations (including the Rangeley, and three locomotives in steam, with two others on outdoor static display) is being featured in two weekends of photographer specials. Other joint events are being developed.

This partnership has also resulted in two joint restoration projects. WW&F and MNG crews have worked together to rebuild a flat car (originally an Edaville-built excursion car, likely built from a B&SR boxcar) and the B&SR tank car 14. More such restorations are planned.

Meanwhile, in Portland, MNG's lease on the state-owned RoW has been extended to 2040 (iirc.) Work is underway to construct a new station building and maintenance/storage facility within this easement. MNG is expanding its offerings, having run a for a successful Winter Carnival last weekend, and the start of Winter trains next weekend. Trains will continue to run along the Portland waterfront for many years to come.

MNG has not announced what equipment, if any, will be on display in Portland once construction of their facilities are complete. The agreement with the WW&F is open ended, allowing transfer of equipment as deemed necessary. This is being facilitated, in part, by the third leg of the partnership, Maine Locomotive and Machine (MLM) - a well-respected private business specializing in steam locomotive repair and maintenance. Based along the WW&F mainline in Alna, MLM services include the ability to safely truck virtually every piece in the collections of either organization between Alna and Portland.

The partnership between the WW&F, MNG, and MLM is a fine example as to what is possible when organizations work together for the common good of railroad preservation. We're all excited to see how this relationship develops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Thanks, Ed. Good response.

-Philip Marshall