It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad To build NEW MUSEUM FACILITY!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:04 am 

Press Release for the project!

NEW LOGGING MUSEUM TO OPEN IN JUNE 2013!

Ever since the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad began operating between Elbe and Mineral, WA in 1980, Mr. L.T. “Tom” Murray, Jr. has held on to a dream to see the steam trains take folks to a world-class logging museum in the foothills of Mt. Rainier. Now that dream is to become reality!

The Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad is wholly owned by the Western Forest Industries Museum (a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization) whose board of directors recently voted to proceed with the creation of a logging museum and forestry interpretive center to be located at MRSR’s restoration and maintenance facility in Mineral. Phase 1 of the three-phase project is planned to open to the public in June, 2013. At that time, MRSR’s excursion trains will begin running from the depot in Elbe directly to the new museum in Mineral. Arriving at a new boarding platform, the steam locomotive will take water at a reconstructed logging-era water tank while the passengers will be able to explore early-20th century logging camp buildings with their displays and narratives, numerous pieces of logging equipment (some of which are one-of-a-kind or the first of their type), the MRSR restoration shop, and the “Rod House” and “House of Gears” to see and learn about MRSR’s exceptional collection of historic steam logging locomotives. Phase 2 of the project will include picnic grounds and a re-created steam-powered sawmill. Phase 3 will be the addition of a miniature train ride and log-loading demonstrations featuring live-steam locomotives and logging equipment donated by Mr. Murray from his personal collection.

Funding for the new museum is off to a great start as MRSR has been awarded a $350,000 matching grant from the Washington State Historical Society. Other grant applications are pending and the WFIM board of directors is working to secure additional funding. Anyone can help ensure the success of the project, though, by making a tax deductible donation! Construction of phase 1 has already begun, so keep watching our web site (http://www.mrsr.com) for news!

RIDE THE MT. RAINIER SCENIC RAILROAD AND HELP SUPPORT OUR NEW LOGGING MUSEUM PROJECT!

Hope this is of some interest in addition to our normal programming...

Best,

Stathi

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
spappas@cumbrestoltec.com
209 603 7363

Post subject: Re: Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad To build NEW MUSEUM FACILITY!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 am 

I heard about this from like 3 different sites. It never gets old seeing it though, I cant wait for it to start!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 am 

WOW! It's news to me but I can't wait for this!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:45 am 

Sounds like it will be a real museum experience. Great! I think I'll spend a summer up there helping build it.

Stathi, there seems to be nothing about this on your website -- maybe I just missed it. Are there drawings posted somewhere?

In Rhode Island, it is illegal to operate a passenger car between a locomotive and a load of dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:24 am 

Marty,

You are correct that there isn't anything on our web site yet. I've got to get with our webmaster and create a new page for the project. We have drawings that were used during our last Board meeting, but they are not really suitable for what I want on our web site. I'm looking to have a site plan that allows you to see various photographs and text when you click on different parts of the plan. I'm not web site savvy, so not sure how long that will take. In the meantime, I'll attach one of the proposal drawings so you can get the gist of the plan, and I'll see about getting something up on the "News" blog in short order.

Brian Wise
General Manager
Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am 

And the file size was too large. Let's try that again.

Brian

Attachments:
wfim iso dwg 07-2012r.jpg
wfim iso dwg 07-2012r.jpg [ 130.95 KiB | Viewed 7147 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 pm 

hey brian, when will rayonier #45 leave mineral now that shes been owned by chris baldo for a year. Also are there any plans to restore heisler #10?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:38 pm 

An awesome project - its great that they were able to acquire Camp 5's stuff so to expedite their plans.

Look forward to seeing this completed, in person.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:17 am 

Quote:
I'm looking to have a site plan that allows you to see various photographs and text when you click on different parts of the plan. I'm not web site savvy, so not sure how long that will take. In the meantime, I'll attach one of the proposal drawings so you can get the gist of the plan, I'll see about getting something up on the "News" blog in short order.

Brian Wise
General Manager

Clicakable links on an image? Piece of cake. The bozo that runs the website can knock that out in a day or two as soon as he has the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 am 

Looks like a great project!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:51 am 

Looks like they have a well-thought-out site plan, have been collecting bits and pieces for it for a while, and have fundraising in place. This type of organization and planning should be applauded.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Hyde,

There are no plans at this time to move the #45 off of the property, although the agreement we have with Mr. Baldo does have a time limit for the locomotive's storage.

As for Heisler #10, there are no plans to return this locomotive to serviceable condition (although Stathi and I, being Pickering fans, wish that there were), but we do plan to move the locomotive to the Mineral shop for a cosmetic restoration prior to placing it on display at the new museum (hmmm...maroon with "Pickering Lumber Co." lettering??).

Brian Wise
General Manager

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

Thanks brian, but after #5 wouldnt she be next? i understand this is a while from now. IIRC #5 needs $750,000 worth of work to her. Which would include new drive wheels being they have been shortened due to extensive wear. Whats does #10 need?