It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing Locomotives in Washington State
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 am 

Two, 2-foot gauge 0-4-0T's were said to have been transported to Leavenworth, WA in the early 1990s for use at a "Resort Hotel" and placed in storage. I've heard nothing further since the original e-mails regarding these two locomotives, nor have I found anything revealing on Google. Here are the two locomotives:

Henschel & Son (Kassel) 0-4-0T C/N: 22612 Built: 1935
Henschel & Son (Kassel) 0-4-0T C/N: 21835 Built: 1934

If anyone has further information about these two locomotives, their disposition or the project they were supposed to be a part of it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Missing Locomotives in Washington State
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:02 pm 

Doug,
I'm sorry that it's not much info, but I was in Leavenworth with my wife just before Christmas and I asked around out of curiosity as I too wondered about them and wanted to get photos. Several people I asked told me that they'd heard those locomotives were going to be coming there but all said they never saw them and that the tracks were never completed either. Out of 5 people who knew what i was talking about, all said they were sure the locomitives never got into town. All of these people worked in Leavenworth and 2 of them said they'd lived there for many years.
Now, that said, I could have been a victim of the "helpful clueless people" syndrome where a local wants to sound in the know but isn't correct. I've had that happen to me before. But considering nobody I asked indicated they were ever there and a small number were sure they never arrived, I'm willing to accept that the very minimum, they aren't in leavenworth now if they ever had been.
Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm 

I don't know if it's related, but there is a large track in the hills near Leavenworth. Looks to be a live steam or park train operation. I don't know any details. Like you, I heard rumors of a hotel building a railroad for their guests. I think I even saw something on a website at one point, but I haven't been able to track it down since.

http://binged.it/AtoWpL

This was NOT the short-live Icicle Junction operation that ran downtown with a CP Huntington train.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 pm 

There used to be a little german engine on display in Leavenworth, but I seem to recall it's been gone for many years. Is that one of the two engines in question? Anyone know what happened to it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:06 pm 

Following the line on the map that Bobharbison posted, it looks like the track leads to a large, grey metal shed. I'm guessing that's where the locomotives are located. The track crosses a local road one or twice, so the thing to do would be to drive out to those crossings and see what the track gauge is. If it's 2 foot, that's probably where the locomotives are.

EDIT: And here's what a little Google searching will get you. According to this thread, the land that the track is on in Bobharbison's post, as well as the track, is owned by a Mr. Bob Johnson. The land was going to become a resort, but never did. There is a a small railroad tunnel on the line (directly across the road from the grey shed I mentioned above) that is blocked by large wooden doors. The thread shows two photos of the track and the tunnel, and that track sure looks to be 2ft gauge. This all leads me to believe that those missing locomotives are stored in the tunnel. According to the thread, Mr. Johnson also own the Enzian Inn downtown, so if you wanted to get in contact with him...

Here's the thread: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/983600/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm 

weekendrailroader wrote:
Following the line on the map that Bobharbison posted, it looks like the track leads to a large, grey metal shed.

They actually don't appear to lead to the shed, which is the part that I could never figure out. I was guessing the train has to be in the tunnel. Now that you mention it, Enzian Inn was one of the places mentioned, but since it was downtown, and obviously had no tracks around it, I never managed to connect the two.

It's a shame this never got off the ground. It's obvious he spent some serious money on this project.

I don't think there's any reason to drive out and look, it's obvious from the photo it's two foot gauge, and the rail is pretty heavy duty. You don't use steel that big if you're going to run a Chance CP Huntington and a couple of their cars. You don't even need it to run small steam, Remlingers is two foot gauge, and the steel is quite a bit smaller than that. It's been in opertion quite a while now, and the rail has held up just fine and the ride quality is great. No, it's pretty clear he had some big stuff in mind. I'm just about sure you've found your missing locos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm 

So, is one of the two engines the one that was on display in downtown Leavenworth? When was it removed and why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm 

You're right, Bob, the engines are probably in the tunnel, not in shed. I didn't make that clear in my edit to my first post. I found another thread on the same topic online, which mentioned that there are a few flatcars stored in a garage downtown. So, steaminfo, maybe a call or email to this Mr. Johnson is in order? I imagine he has quite a passion for railroads, and, like a lot of us, he might not mind sharing it with others of a like-mind. It's worth a shot, I suppose...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 pm 

weekendrailroader wrote:
You're right, Bob, the engines are probably in the tunnel, not in shed. I didn't make that clear in my edit to my first post. I found another thread on the same topic online, which mentioned that there are a few flatcars stored in a garage downtown. So, steaminfo, maybe a call or email to this Mr. Johnson is in order? I imagine he has quite a passion for railroads, and, like a lot of us, he might not mind sharing it with others of a like-mind. It's worth a shot, I suppose...

Had a nice chat with a gentleman at the Enzian Inn who confirmed that the two locomotives are indeed in the tunnel. Further information may be forthcoming soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm 

So maybe this is a "lost locomotive in a tunnel in the mountains" story that actually pans out!?

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm 

weekendrailroader wrote:
So maybe this is a "lost locomotive in a tunnel in the mountains" story that actually pans out!?

;)

Dang, I was hoping for a Y6b in West Virginia.......:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm 

Can't add anything of recent history of these locomotives. In 1999, they were sold to Robert & Bob Johnson of Leavenworth, WA as reported. Plan was for a steam ride at their ski resort. We haven't heard anything from them in years. 22612 was the locomotive that started the steam railroading at Hesston, IN [Hesston Steam Museum]. It was undergoing boiler repairs when our engine house burned around it. It received an 'aerosol overhaul' cosmetic repainting, and was displayed for several years at the railroad museum in New Buffalo, MI. 21835 came to us in 1987 from the Mohun Steam Museum collection at Novato, CA. We restored it to service only to demonstrate for sale, but in was never regarded as part of our operating fleet. Date stamping on my camera shows both locomotives left June 27, 1999.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Photos have surfaced at everyone's most hated social media site:

More at https://www.facebook.com/groups/abandon ... 515878086/