It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:34 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:01 am
Posts: 9
Per multiple posts on Facebook the last run of the Keokuk Junction Railway F Units will be this week. One post specifically says Tuesday August 6th.


Attachments:
CFB851C8-A735-4C0B-A9BE-5C8D63C1C93B.jpeg
CFB851C8-A735-4C0B-A9BE-5C8D63C1C93B.jpeg [ 56.62 KiB | Viewed 3645 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:21 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5644
ATSFRyan wrote:
the last run of the Keokuk Junction Railway F Units will be this week.


The reason?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:53 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 883
Les Beckman wrote:
ATSFRyan wrote:
the last run of the Keokuk Junction Railway F Units will be this week.


The reason?


http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... f-the-line
"Under the every good thing eventually comes to an end category, Brookhaven Capital Partners, the new owner of Pioneer Railcorp, has decided to store the Keokuk Junction Railway's former Canadian National FP9A units, Nos. 1750 and 1752, and F9B No. 1761. Their last day of operation is Wednesday.

Pioneer Chief Operating Officer Ross Grantham said Sunday: “As far as our decision to store the F units, as we look at improving our efficiencies; we’ve taken a close look at utilizing those in the fleet that were made for freight service, and unfortunately that does not include the F-style units. These units were intended for passenger service and do not provide the tractive effort as that of a GP unit. We also want to ensure that we are making the safest decisions for our folks, and when you look at how the F unit was designed, it does not provide clear line of site for the crew and provides a much more difficult time to climb into and out of the cab. They are great units for photographing, no doubt. At this time, we are looking at all options as to the future of these locomotives.”

I'm sure the crews won't miss them, hopefully someone will pick them up, I'm more worried about track with this corporate change.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 am 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 434
I'd like to see them get back to Canada and CN colors. If not CN, Than maybe the Alaska RR. ARR doesn't have any of it's F units anymore. Except for the preserved 1500, There is no other F unit in Alaska.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5644
In the TRAINS news article, it also mentions Pioneer's other cab units; the F-7's on the Gettysburg & Northern. One of those was in service, and is also being put into storage, and there were two units awaiting repairs that will now not be forthcoming. What are the heritage of those G&N F-7's?

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:35 am 

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 411
Location: Danbury, CT
Makes sense. If you’ve ever worked on an F-unit, you’ll immediately appreciate other types for their steps and walkways.

_________________
Randy Patterson
RMNE/NAUG


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:43 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 261
Wow, I didn't realize Pioneer had been taken over!

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
I'd like to see them get back to Canada and CN colors. If not CN, Than maybe the Alaska RR. ARR doesn't have any of it's F units anymore. Except for the preserved 1500, There is no other F unit in Alaska.


Wasn't there a shell in somebody's back yard?

CD


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 434
CD, I believe it was scrapped. But don't hold me to it.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:04 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Posts: 133
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
CD, I believe it was scrapped. But don't hold me to it.

Robert


I was reading about that locomotive not too long ago. Some lady bought it and it's going to be part of a coffee shop. Here is a link http://www.alaskarails.org/historical/f ... /1514.html


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 am 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 434
Thanks for the updated info. Looks like the ghost of the F unit from Runaway Train.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Somewhere north of Prescott, AZ on the Santa Fe "Peavine"
Les Beckman wrote:
In the TRAINS news article, it also mentions Pioneer's other cab units; the F-7's on the Gettysburg & Northern. One of those was in service, and is also being put into storage, and there were two units awaiting repairs that will now not be forthcoming. What are the heritage of those G&N F-7's?


https://www.thedieselshop.us/GettysRy.HTML

401: EMD F7A c/n 17910 2/53 Ex-Texas Southern 104, U.S. Steel-Wyoming 726A, nee-B&LE 726A

402: EMD F7A c/n 8576 12/49 Ex-Keokuk Jct. Ry. 406, St. Louis Chain of Rocks 406, C&NW 406(3rd), nee-C&NW 4086A

Didn't even know a third was on the property.......... not sure that report's actually accurate.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 258
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

https://www.thedieselshop.us/GettysRy.HTML

401: EMD F7A c/n 17910 2/53 Ex-Texas Southern 104, U.S. Steel-Wyoming 726A, nee-B&LE 726A

402: EMD F7A c/n 8576 12/49 Ex-Keokuk Jct. Ry. 406, St. Louis Chain of Rocks 406, C&NW 406(3rd), nee-C&NW 4086A

Didn't even know a third was on the property.......... not sure that report's actually accurate.


Third F is FP9 PREX 1755, sister to the 1750 and others on KJRY, ex CN/AC/VIA/CN. Afaik the 1755 is the running unit. 402 has been stored serviceable for awhile but used rarely (its tired). 401 threw a rod in the block years ago. I'm told the block was fixed but needs resealed (B block). 402's block needs some new seals as well (BC block).


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm 

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:19 pm
Posts: 86
Another notable diesel in Pioneer's roster that may be needing a new home is RS3M 102. This unit was the Pioneer's first locomotive, and it has been rumored that that the railroad's president retained it for sentimental reasons. It has been stored out-of-service in LaHarpe, IL for much of this decade.

Don Ross's ever-useful website has the following roster information:

Quote:
9931, Class RS-3M, was built by Alco in March 1953, #80243, as Central RR of New Jersey 1549, Class FPSD-46. It became Conrail 5379, Class RS-3, and rebuilt as 9931, Class RS-3M, in 1979. It was sold as West Jersey Short Line Inc 93 in 1985 and renumbered 7802. It became West Jersey RR 7802 and sold as Wabash & Grand River Ry 7802. It was sold as Fort Smith RR 7802 on November 8, 1991. It was transferred as Pioneer Railcorp 102 and later became Pioneer Industrial RR 102.


https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr897.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20190820035 ... /dr897.htm

According the the Railroad Preservation Index, this would be only the 2nd CNJ RS3 to survive, and the only surviving unit as an RS3M.

https://sites.google.com/site/railwaypr ... new-jersey

https://web.archive.org/web/20190820035 ... new-jersey


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Keokuk Junction F-units last run this Tuesday 8/6/2019
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 261
Thomas Cornillie wrote:
Another notable diesel in Pioneer's roster that may be needing a new home is RS3M 102. This unit was the Pioneer's first locomotive, and it has been rumored that that the railroad's president retained it for sentimental reasons. It has been stored out-of-service in LaHarpe, IL for much of this decade.

Don Ross's ever-useful website has the following roster information:

Quote:
9931, Class RS-3M, was built by Alco in March 1953, #80243, as Central RR of New Jersey 1549, Class FPSD-46. It became Conrail 5379, Class RS-3, and rebuilt as 9931, Class RS-3M, in 1979. It was sold as West Jersey Short Line Inc 93 in 1985 and renumbered 7802. It became West Jersey RR 7802 and sold as Wabash & Grand River Ry 7802. It was sold as Fort Smith RR 7802 on November 8, 1991. It was transferred as Pioneer Railcorp 102 and later became Pioneer Industrial RR 102.


https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr897.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/20190820035 ... /dr897.htm

According the the Railroad Preservation Index, this would be only the 2nd CNJ RS3 to survive, and the only surviving unit as an RS3M.

https://sites.google.com/site/railwaypr ... new-jersey

https://web.archive.org/web/20190820035 ... new-jersey


I hope that RS-3m gets saved sooner than later, Watco also had an RS-3m (ex-MKT, EMD factory repower), long OOS and stored - and supposedly promised for donation - that was scrapped upon passing of the founder.

CD


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: