It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Byesville Scenic RR Suspends Operations
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 pm 

I think they have a static museum, but no actual rail operations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:34 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Oddly, the Railroad Museum of Pa. is sponsoring a bus trip through Western Pennsylvania and Ohio, which includes as one of its stops the Byesville Scenic Railroad and its coal mining museum:

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/membership/ra ... e-2015.pdf

So at least something is still functioning there. Or their tour planners didn't get various memos.

I don't think that's correct:

If you had taken the time to go to their web site,

http://www.bsrw.org/

you would have found they have some very interesting statues of coal miners on display in their depot.

The type of thing that's well worth seeing if you're in the area and it's open.

Bob H

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:11 pm 

Ok - I was thinking about this, and I'll bite. What's the current status of the Byesville Scenic line, especially as it relates to the late JJJ? Did he own the tracks or a lien on them?

Plus, who owns the line, and why is it actually down? It seems to me that IF (big if) the AOS group wanted a rail line of their own to run passenger trips on - this could be a great place...but I could be completely wrong about this. Anyone care to elaborate or correct me?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 am 

From a 2014 report that I received from Doug Storalik. Between 2012 and 2014 this is what happened. In 2016, G&W began running gravel trains between Byesville and Derwent.

Hi Eric,

Doug Stolarik here, webmaster for the Byesville Scenic Railway. Sorry not to get back to you in a timely fashion. I was not sure if you talked to, or emailed, anyone else within the organization...? If so, did anyone reply to your email from a few weeks ago?

Unfortunately, we are basically shut down... indefinitely at that. The line on which we operate was sold to Zemba Bros. of Zanesville, and they refuse to allow us permission to operate on the line. Until someone with enough funding will step forward and acquire the line for our own exclusive use, we will remain shut down. Until then, there is nothing anyone can really do, unless they can convince the Zemba Bros. to allow us access to the line.

In retrospect, the shame of this situations is that during our few years of operation, NONE of us common volunteers had ANYTHING to personally gain from our efforts... aside from the simple enjoyment of providing a historic scenic train ride, helping to enrich our community, and helping to support the local economy with much tourism. In fact, during our years of operation, many of us made great contributions and sacrifices, on many different levels, to make the Byesville Scenic a successful operation.

Thank you for your interest.

Thank you
Doug Stolarik
Webmaster, BSRW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:54 pm 

I stopped by the town about 3 years ago. A local shop owner said the same thing. The brothers thought they would get into the landfill business. But nothing come of it. There was some track work being done at that time, just north of the depot. Shame they are not running. The folks had done a lot of work on the line right before it was shut down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:51 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A Flickr album of photos from the site from March of this year:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjACtb3