It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TV and Movie mysteries.....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:05 pm 

Allright, I know you guys are are a veritable wealth of information, but I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. In Emperor Of the North, I know the scene where the 19 backs over the large trestle, the trestle was a pretty good ways from Cottage Grove and close to Portland. No news there, as that's a known fact. The question is...how did 19 and train get there, and did they run under their own power?

2. The Gunsmoke episode "Snow Train" was shot on a BN branch. How did it get there from the Black Hills Central?

Stealth steam moves both cases, perhaps? It would not be the first time....

Post subject: Re: TV and Movie mysteries.....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 am 

Well, sonny...

Once upon a time, there was no internet. Steam trains ran from place to place, and if you didn't hear about it first hand, or see it in the "news" section that used to be in the magazines, you'd never know it happened.

There also was a time when railroad ran trains with friction bearings. With a bit of work, you could do a special move. Mount Rainer Scenic Railroad's 2-8-2 Porter ran from Tacoma to Seattle and the Seattle to Wenatchee. We did much of the trip without helpers, only adding them for the tunnel and for dynamics on the downhill. We did a similar trip to Oregon for a movie. You could do that stuff back then...

Oh, and MTV stood for MUSIC TV back then, not MORON TV.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:23 am 

It feels good to be called "sonny" when I'm pushing 50....

I've been a participant in a couple of "stealth" moves in the modern era, neither one diesel assisted, but I would think that someone would know something about either one, o both, since we knew they took place. Bob, I've seen pictures of your run with the Porter..she looked quite happy on the "big rail"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm 

Gunsmoke's "Snow Train" episode was filmed in April 1970 on the BN's Edgemont Branch, running between Edgemont and Deadwood, SD. Since 1957 the Black Hills Central had been running trains over the Keystone Spur, which connected to the Edgemont branch at Hill City (also home base for the BHC). For the filming, BHC's 2-6-2 No. 7 ran a dozen miles south to Custer on the Edgemont Branch using the same BN crews that usually operated the steam train (under contract) on its run between Hill City and Keystone. Thus No. 7 really didn't have to stray that far from home for its movie role.

Jeff Terry

Attachments:
snow train.jpg
snow train.jpg [ 228.69 KiB | Viewed 4865 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm 

Jeff Terry wrote:
Gunsmoke's "Snow Train" episode was filmed in April 1970 on the BN's Edgemont Branch, running between Edgemont and Deadwood, SD. Since 1957 the Black Hills Central had been running trains over the Keystone Spur, which connected to the Edgemont branch at Hill City (also home base for the BHC). For the filming, BHC's 2-6-2 No. 7 ran a dozen miles south to Custer on the Edgemont Branch using the same BN crews that usually operated the steam train (under contract) on its run between Hill City and Keystone. Thus No. 7 really didn't have to stray that far from home for its movie role.

Jeff Terry

Wow Jeff!

Thanks for the info and the production pic!