It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible ex-NKP Alco S2 Reportedly Available in Dixon, Ill.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I'm just passing on the rumors:

Quote:
The locomotive sitting at St. Mary's Cement in Dixon, IL. is possibly available. I have a solid contact name for anyone interested. Plant is going up for auction. PM if interested.

Alco/GE model S2 switcher. Supposedly last run in 2008. Alleged by a couple sources online to be Builder #69927, built July 1942, former NKP 4 from the first NKP diesel order; another source claims it was ordered new for the plant in 1949.

https://www.pbase.com/trailryder/image/90058090

Photo appears to be from 2007:

2019 photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/66708125@ ... 886879@N00

Post subject: Re: Possible ex-NKP Alco S2 Reportedly Available in Dixon, I
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:53 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

This link says that:

"This Engine will soon be in Freeport, Illinois
The Silver Creek and Stephenson Railroad has been donated an ALCO locomotive by St. Mary's Cement Company in Dixon IL.
The Silver Creek is planning on painting and refurbishing the locomotive. They are hoping that it will be made to run after they work on it. This would be the largest locomotive, as far as weight goes, by far on the Silver Creek.

Now the only problem is that they have to transport the loco from Dixon to Freeport. They estimate that it will cost between 8,000 and 10,000 dollars to move the engine, and are hoping for donations to help cover the cost of the move or a trucking firm with the appropriate equipment to step forward and help with hauling the unit. The paper says that if you would like to make a donation to assist, you should send it to the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club, P.O. Box 255, Freeport IL (zip is 61032).

Club vice President, Ronald Pieper, says the club will maintain a "strict list of donors." If enough funds fail to materialize, donors will be contacted, and asked if they would like their money returned, or if they would like it put towards maintaining current equipment. Pieper also said "We are strictly a volunteer group, with no tax money or government money. It's just people working together". The goal is to have the 100 ton locomotive in Freeport by the Spring/Summer of 2008. If you would like to contact
Mr. Pieper for more information, the paper lists this number: 815-232-2306."

It looks like they gave up as their goal was to have it moved by 2008, I wonder what it would take to reestablish their interest. Freeport is around 40 miles from Dixon.

Edit: here it was in 1964, the access doors were flush then.

Attachments:
8-11-2011_001b.JPG
8-11-2011_001b.JPG [ 108.24 KiB | Viewed 5023 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:47 pm 

PMC wrote:

...Edit: here it was in 1964, the access doors were flush then.

Methinks you're being fooled by optical illusion. In the Medusa Cement photo (old name for the place) most doors are partially open although they may be mistaken for standing proud of the carbody..........mld

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:21 pm 

Is that a remote control light array I see on the first handrail stanchion ahead of the cab? If so, would it still have its manual controls?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:01 pm 

mldeets wrote:
PMC wrote:

...Edit: here it was in 1964, the access doors were flush then.

Methinks you're being fooled by optical illusion. In the Medusa Cement photo (old name for the place) most doors are partially open although they may be mistaken for standing proud of the carbody..........mld

Ah, you're right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:01 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Is that a remote control light array I see on the first handrail stanchion ahead of the cab? If so, would it still have its manual controls?

It looks like the cab windows are also plated over, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cab controls were removed, it may just mean that the cement company doesn't want to maintain the cab (hopefully). It also means that the glazing was never pummeled by stones and hopefully vandals were never able to get inside. One other positive: in the photo at top and the recent flickr photo you can see a stack covering in place, which may have prevented too much water from going down the stack in all the years it has sat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:52 am 

If you take a good look at the photo, you will also see that the locomotive is also missing the front coupler pocket. These were riveted on and age combined with rust buildup between the frame and the pocket has caused some of these to fail. In this case, it looks as if someone took the proper time to remove the pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 pm 

Also remember that photo is over 14 years old.........mld

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:44 am 

I hope the SC &S plans to do significant track upgrades ....they have light rail, virtually no ballast and ties with limited lifespan left...otherwise this ALCO is going to be on the ground more than on the rails.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:51 am 

If the S-2 is former NKP, then it was sold to Medusa Portland cement on 5/1/1964. Then sold on to Dixon Marquette Cement. Delivery number to NKP was 4 per "Fifty Years off Nickel Plate Diesels" by Pete Shepherd and published by the NKPHTS. (Spent its time in Buffalo, so one I never rode or ran. )