It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Converting diesel locomotives
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:04 pm 

robertmacdowell wrote:
That is Westinghouse AB equipment: It automatically steps through points for you. And it's assuming it is an "El" car, and not dragging 30 freight cars. At Michigan Transit Museum,the two El cars (4442/4450) pulled only a 100-ton Alco S1, and it stepped through points too fast.

The acceleration rate on WH ABLFM control can be adjusted. A few years back the 4000's at IRM were adjusted to lower the acceleration rate a bit to reduce strain on the motors. I don't recall precisely how this was done but it set the limit relay lower so that the car would notch up slower.

On at least some GE PC-type automatic control systems, there was a "goose" button or lever that when pressed would advance the controller to the next point so that the car wouldn't stay in an acceleration point for too long when going up a grade or towing a trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 pm 

robertmacdowell wrote:
Using the specific gear out of the 4000-series El Cars (4441/4449) would not work. That is Westinghouse AB equipment: It automatically steps through points for you. And it's assuming it is an "El" car, and not dragging 30 freight cars. At Michigan Transit Museum,the two El cars (4442/4450) pulled only a 100-ton Alco S1, and it stepped through points too fast.

Maybe they should have learned to properly operate the equipment. The CTA never had any problem using these for "mules", pulling as many material trailers as needed.

If I recall correctly (and it's been about thirty years now) the master controller on these has four points... same as GE PC:

Switching
Series
Switching
Parallel

Place the controller in Series, and it will automatically step up to full series. Put it in Parallel and it makes transition and continues to step to full parallel. Back it into one of the switching points at any time, and it will hold the point its in. So, with proper manipulation, one can make the control accelerate at whatever rate is required.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:47 am 

I should rephrase. The car WANTED to step through points too fast, and they did exactly what you describe to limit its doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 pm 

On the GE PC control cars that I have run, there are only 3 points:
Switching - holds car in first point
Series -accelerates to full series
Parallel - accelerates to full parallel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:20 pm 

In order to modify the notching on the L cars, you need to take the limit relay apart. the metal core is hollow. it is filled with lead BBs. by varing the weight, you can adjust the rate of acceleration. just dont ask me what specifiec weight corresponds to an acceleration rate as I dont have that information, and have never been able to find it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:03 pm 

Maybe the easy way to get a GG1 running again would be to buy at the up coming auction, GN steam gen car #661 and use it as a diesel generator plant? The heavy F3 locomotive frame would be well suited to supporting the weight of a very large generator set.

GN #661 https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/auctions.php

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Maybe the easy way to get a GG1 running again would be to buy at the up coming auction, GN steam gen car #661 and use it as a diesel generator plant? The heavy F3 locomotive frame would be well suited to supporting the weight of a very large generator set.

That resolves a power issue; now un-crack all the GG1 frames that were eating welding rods like popcorn at a theater..........

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 pm 

Two methods, Either have a new frame cut out in the same manner as Tornado's frame was made. Water jet cutting or plasma cutting. Or, Build a frame out of thin pieces stacked up to the right thickness and welded together. I think of it as a lamination type frame. Didn't PRR build one new frame for a GG-1 in that manner? Seems I remember reading about such drawings being in the PRR archive? The other method, cutting out a new frame like the way Tornado was built, hasn't been tried on a GG1.

I'm biased, There is 16 GG1 locomotives. One of them should be more of a priority than building a T1. Wasn't the T1 mostly a failure? Of the 52 built, None of them were very satisfactory in service.

Might be too late now to salvage electrical parts from AEM-7 types. They've all been scrapped. Unless one considers the SEPTA units if they are still around? The idea, is to use modern components since the tap changer transformer used in the GG1 is all but extinct. Essentially, The idea is to run the GG1 traction motors on DC using modern or relatively modern electrical components and controls.

Well, There is a lot of options from Europe. Electrics out number diesels in some countries these days.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:51 pm 

I know of at least two converted locomotives.

Dan Patch Lines 100 Boxcab (Minnesota Transportation Museum)

Originally two GE gas electric car power plants back to back.

Converted to electric, with contactors and resistors in the cab.

The wire came down, so they shoehorned a Diesel GenSet into the cab.
(rubber belt drive, with a clutch!, has to be the only diesel electric locomotive with a clutch)

Streetcar control stand and a constant speed genset.

-------

The other locomotive I don't know much about, it's a Foley's Construction locomotive, appears to originally been a GE steeple cab which had a generator added to one end.

-Hudson