It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: staybolts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 1998 3:10 am 

Hello,<p>I have been reading about flexible staybolts and the testing of them. Correct me if Im wrong, the<br>stays have a ball and socket kind of end with a cap threaded over this on the boiler shell. Now on<br>the firebox end, the stay is threaded into the sheet and then hammered over to make the seal,<br>right? Is there anything used on the threaded of the cap to help it seal? And if the stay is broken,<br>how do you remove it? how do you keep from messing up the threads in the sheet.<br>And, when you do a hydro test, and the boiler is under water pressure, does anyone get inside<br>the firebox to check for leaks or do you let the pressure out then look?<br>Thanks Alot!<p>Alan

My Steam Page
adatmsu@aol.com

Post subject: Re: staybolts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 1998 6:48 am 

There is usually a copper gasket which seals the cap to the top of the sleeve. <p>In my experience, staybolts break 9 times out of 10 near the outside sheet and would leak visibly through the holes on the outside of the boiler. Inspecting inside the firebox while under pressure is an important part of the hydrostatic test also. <p>If you are hammer testing with water in the boiler, it must be under hydrostatic pressure. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net