It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linoleum - where to find it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 1998 8:48 pm 

I need linoleum to complete the restoration of a couple of passenger cars I'm working on, and I would appreciate any tips on where to find it, since it's no longer available through ordinary floor covering stores.<p>In particular, the original material is a dark brown with some random white(?) streaks in it. It has what appears to be a burlap backing.<p>Thanks to anyone who can help.<br> Randall Hicks, Illinois Railway Museum<br>

Post subject: Re: Linoleum - where to find it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 1998 2:40 pm 

I remember looking for linoleum for restoring a Canadian National car about ten years ago, and being told that local floor-covering dealers could get "Battleship linoleum" if they had to, but that the cost was high and the color choice limited. I decided that what is called "transit rubber" would be a good visual and functional replacement. This is the rubber floor you see in buses. It is available in many colors and is easy to work with. Look for advertisements in "Mass Transit," the "Pocket List," and similar publications.<p>Aarne Frobom<br>Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation, Inc.<br>

froboma@mdot.state.mi.us