It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Louisiana Cypress Lumber Company # 3 Ponchatoula Louisia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

I ran across this discussion while researching the Louisiana Cypress #3 engine located in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. I've only lived here for the past 5 years but have been curious about this old engine since moving here and for years have inquired about it. I have recently been asked by someone to get details on what it would take to preserve this piece of history, make it presentable to the public without a complete teardown/rebuild in the middle of town. Is this even possible? Where would I start to gather information to begin to put a plan together? Do you think I could get some guidance from some of the city's that have gone through this type of preservation process? I have zero experience or knowledge of this type of restoration but can devote time to do whatever I can to save this old engine.
Regards,
Barton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 pm 

Barton Migues wrote:
I ran across this discussion while researching the Louisiana Cypress #3 engine located in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. I've only lived here for the past 5 years but have been curious about this old engine since moving here and for years have inquired about it. I have recently been asked by someone to get details on what it would take to preserve this piece of history, make it presentable to the public without a complete teardown/rebuild in the middle of town. Is this even possible? Where would I start to gather information to begin to put a plan together? Do you think I could get some guidance from some of the city's that have gone through this type of preservation process? I have zero experience or knowledge of this type of restoration but can devote time to do whatever I can to save this old engine.
Regards,
Barton

I'm glad you came here, yes it can be done if you think it through, there are many here who know exactly what to do (I'm not one of them) and will respond once they see your post, in areas including: dealing with government, securing the parts (e.g. don't let the parts get away from the engine), hazmat stuff, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm 

Well, I cannot speak for the #2, but have had some experience with the #1 and the #3. The city of Ponchatoula does own #3, and several years back actually had a well known steam person spend several days looking at the locomotive and estimate the cost of a good cosmetic restoration, plus a cover over the engine. I think that I remember him telling me that the number sent the city fathers into total shock and denial. Remember, the State of Louisiana is DEAD BROKE, and so are most of the municipalities so money for things like this is non-existent.

As far as #1 goes, I was familiar with the engine when it was owned by Dael Campbell and kept on the banks of Braes Bayou. Dale sold the engine and it went to Griffin. The gentleman who owned it dismantled it and and started work on a restoration before his age caught up with him. The family that owns the Griffin operation bought it from his heirs and have rounded up all of the parts and stored them indoors. I queried them on a cost, and while it was probably reasonable (if all the parts are there), the museum where I volunteer could not afford the price, the cost of moving the parts, and the costs of restoration.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 am 

Elueck,
Thanks for the reply, do you by any chance remember approximately what the estimated cost was and what things he had proposed to preserve #3.

Thanks,
Barton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
There are ways to accomplish goals without going broke. As with an auto "restoration," you can get it looking prettier with just a can of wax and some polish, or you can knuckle down and do it better.

It may take being creative. For example, look for Eagle Scouts or a group looking for "community service" credits. Maybe a local auto body shop will loan you sandblasters or spray paint equipment, or even do what they can themselves if you bring the parts to them. (I managed that one time for a restoration project.) A vocational school may be looking for a "real-world" training project--for that, you have to garner the interest and desire of the teachers and school officials.

The overall planning involves a thorough examination of all the options, their costs, and their benefits, from a quick polish job to a comprehensive restoration. A quick cheap repaint won't last five years. Addressing rust, asbestos, replacement sheet metal, etc. is more involved but lasts for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:31 pm 

Barton Migues wrote:
Elueck,
Thanks for the reply, do you by any chance remember approximately what the estimated cost was and what things he had proposed to preserve #3.

Thanks,
Barton

When the then mayor of Ponchatoula (who has since passed away) called me for my opinion about the cosmetic restoration quote, I believe it was over $300,000. I don't remember what that included, but the tender was going to be expensive. There are no words to describe how bad that tender is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:57 am 

I was never quoted an exact number, but the $300,000 may be close to correct, if not a little low. Tim is right, it is going to be an expensive job, no matter how little is done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:55 pm 

I will start putting a plan together with an objective to break the project into small easy to digest bites, this way it won't be so overwhelming in the way of hours and finance that will be required. From what I've read on your forum I should start the project with some type of roof/cover over the entire engine and tender to help slow down further deterioration of this equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm 

Barton Migues wrote:
From what I've read on your forum I should start the project with some type of roof/cover over the entire engine and tender to help slow down further deterioration of this equipment.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Cover it first, then restore it. Otherwise you will just keep "restoring" it every few years.