It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for "Missing" L&N Jim Crow Combine
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:08 pm 

> If anyone would like to host them so links can be provided
> in a post here on RYPN, that would be great.

You can post them over at Railroadforums.com, and then link to them from here. It does require a membership to post pictures, but it's totally free and it only takes a few moments to sign up. We don't ask for personal info, and we don't sell your e-mail address. If we allowed posting photos without registration, the site would be overloaded by spammers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 am 

I am wondering if anyone has any updated information on any of these cars? I contacted the Jacksonville NRHS Chapter and they said the did not have a wooden Jim Crow car. I am trying to find if there may be a car available to fit int a proposal I am working on for a Jim Crow display. The older the better late 1800's if possible, and the closer to North Florida the better. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark A. Frazier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 am 

I know, this thread hasn't seen a post in 7 years, but I happened upon this while researching the identity of a mystery passenger car out here that no one seemed to know much about.

I don't know where the Jim Crow car in Alberta was when Mr. Syfrett received photos of it, but it now seems to be located at the Northern Rockies Museum of Culture and Heritage in Hinton, Alberta, on the south side of Highway 16. The museum is in the relocated historic CN station, both the station and car are readily visible in street view at these coordinates:

53.401344,-117.584259

From previous postings this should be L&N 676, but I could not find a number anywhere on it. The trucks are marked "L&N", and some wheels bear "Fort Edmonton" markings.

The car has also been repainted since the current street view footage was taken.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 am 

Excuse Me, why were the cars labeled as “Jim Crow” Cars? Did they have segregated sections for Whites and Blacks?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Excuse Me, why were the cars labeled as “Jim Crow” Cars? Did they have segregated sections for Whites and Blacks?

Exactly! Used primarily on RRs in the Southern U.S. Eventually integration made them irrelevant and obsolete except from an historical perspective of this shameful era.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:37 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:

Yes. With the baggage section between the two passenger sections.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
The L&N cars had a center baggage section to completely separate the "races," other railroads partitioned the passenger end of a combine. Mainline coaches had space at one end for the Blacks; the Santa Fe even bought three lightweight, streamline coaches with two vestibules for use in Texas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am 

Also please note that there apparently were "Jim Crow" type cars besides those intended to separate white and black passengers. In the southwest the separation was for white and Native Americans. Also, there was not always a baggage section between the separated parts of the car, but simply a partition or maybe just a sign of some type. Thank heaven things like that are now in our past!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:17 pm 

The tip-off is usually the restrooms... a true "Jim Crow" car will typically have four; men's and women's in each section.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 am 

Hi,

Attached are some photos of the car in Hinton, Alberta taken 9-15-2017. Hopefully they are of interest / help. I couldn't find a number on the car either.

Don Marenzi

Attachments:
Combo-9377.jpg
Combo-9377.jpg [ 292.62 KiB | Viewed 3952 times ]
Combo-9374.jpg
Combo-9374.jpg [ 337.13 KiB | Viewed 3952 times ]
Combo-4687.jpg
Combo-4687.jpg [ 333.24 KiB | Viewed 3952 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 am 

Trolleyguy wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:

Exactly! Used primarily on RRs in the Southern U.S. Eventually integration made them irrelevant and obsolete except from an historical perspective of this shameful era.

Thanks for the clarification!

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry