It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maine Central 501
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:57 pm 

At North Conway. I think the owning 470 Club is still in dispute with a boiler contractor, who performed some questionable repairs. Was it the 501 or 519 that was in the movie "Sunrise at Campobello"? Never saw the movie.http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... ydate%3A82

Post subject: Re: Maine Central 501
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:27 pm 

Memory tells me it was 519, now at Steamtown. The loco was stored in the Waterville, Maine, roundhouse after all other fires were dropped. She was towed to the set of the movie where Ralph Bellamy was lifted aboard a Maine Central Pullman and waves to the locals as he leaves Eastport and Campobello. The Cosol went back to Waterville, and eventually into the possession of Nelson Blount (thank God).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:04 am 

Looks like 501 was moved to have some work done on her this past weekend I have not seen any announcement.

Any other information on it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 am 

I have been told it's an evaluation for potential repairs after ex-CNR 7470 is running. It is not a commitment to repair the locomotive. Some very expensive repairs are required.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 am 

Great looking engines!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm 

Hi All
First, has an agreement been signed by the 470 Railroad Club and the Conway Scenic RR, to either lease the locomotive, or Sell the Locomotive to the Conway Scenic RR. Before any work can be done, an agreement has to be made.
Yes, the locomotive is on Conway Scenic property, but the 470 railroad club still owns the Locomotive. Also, nothing has been in print in the 470 newsletter, either about leasing or Selling the locomotive
Please don't get wrong, I would love to see the locomotive back under Steam, and running again. But has anyone from the Conway Scenic Railroad approached the owners of the locomotive?
Yes, I know the new owners of the Conway Scenic, would like to have this locomotive under Steam again.
But don't put the cart, before the horse, An Agreement has to be reached first before any restoration can take place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:59 pm 

And to update the 519 at Steamtown. Unfortunately, 519 has deteriorated externally due to lack of coverage and an unending supply of weather variation. The locomotive is sandwiched way back in the line of neglected passenger and freight cars, outdoors. Wood beams are rotted and rust has been devouring the boiler jacket, so the asbestos continues to precipitate out. Overall, not appearing to be in bad mechanical shape, but for some reason, one of the last to be offered housing. Cab interior looks good, all fixtures have long been removed, and probably remain in storage.

Frankly, I don't understand why 519 hasn't been put on the short list for restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:41 pm 

My understanding is that 501 is still leased from the 470 club.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm 

Well, as much as I hope this locomotive gets the chance to experience fire in its belly again, I am a bit worried about what I just saw occurring with the crosshead.... Surely those sudden jerk stop, starts arent the best thing when watching it quickly change its orientation by colliding with the slide bars...?

Anyone out there have experience of moving a locomotive with a crosshead in this state of disassembly? Ive only moved locos with the crosshead still in functional condition, and if not we removed the main rod before moving the locomotive.

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 pm 

I wouldn't move a loco with the crosshead in that state. They should either refit the crosshead slippers (if available) or remove the main rods before moving the loco again. For a short move into the shop it may be possible to make up some hardwood blocks to replace the slippers and grease the slidebars. However, If the loco is going to be rebuilt anyway, they might as well remove the main rods now. Just my $0.02 worth.
Ray.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

I didn't see any evidence of lubricants. Also, at about 10:10 in the video, it looks like the bolt holding the front of the eccentric rod was against the main. Hope I'm wrong on both counts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01 pm 

If 501 was badly rusted at the guides and couldn't move removing the slippers is one way to free her up - and since the guides would need resurfacing and new slippers made and general tramming of all the running gear anyhow, for a slow short move I'm not unduly concerned about it. Don't second guess the guys on the ground making it happen. They know more about their circumstances than you do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 pm 

I know the new owner of the Conway Scenic. He has a good engineering mind and working knowledge of what can and can't be done with railroad equipment. I highly doubt they would have moved the 501 in an unsafe manner that would have done any further harm to her.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hi
I would like to clear up something dealing with Maine Central # 501, First, the locomotive has not been leased to the Conway Scenic RR, from the 470 Railroad Club. In a previous post Reading, 900/Alan has the locomotive as being Leased.
Alan post got me wondering and I contacted a member for the 470 RR club for an answer, the ONLY Locomotive that is being Leased by the Conway Scenic Railroad, is B&M F7 # 4266.
So the Maine Central # 501, and the Freight equipment that is owned by the 470 Railroad club is NOT Under Lease, by the Conway Scenic RR.