It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visibility
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 1998 3:38 pm 

I've gotten such good responses to my questions about sanding the flues and lubricators, I thought I'd try another one. Let's stay away from the Big Boy. Take Frisco 4-8-4 4501 on a cold night, when it's too cold to stick your head out the window, and the cab is all buttoned up. How the heck do you see out the front of those things thru that little window around the boiler, even on a clear day, let alone at night with inclemnent weather.<p>Something I've always wanted to know.<br>

hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Visibility
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 1998 9:16 pm 

Visibility is a problem on a big steamer. Watching for signals is a two man sometimes three man job. That long boiler in front can obscure a signal especially when you are on a curve. When that happens then it is especially important for the crewman on the outside side of the curve to look way down the track. Sometimes if a brakey or pilot is on board they will assist in watching. Snow, rain, sleet or hail is not an excuse in opening that window to catch the next signal. When you have bad weather and your front window (such as it is) is wet or foggy then you have a clear vision section that you can open to aid in seeing down the track. The clear vision is nothing more than a small window within the window that opens.<br>