It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: C&O 701
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 pm 

Last time I saw this engine, back in 1997, it looked like it had been painted fairly recently, but still had the jacket on it and most of the lagging still in place (some of it was on the ground underneath the engine where it had spilled out from split seams in the jacket). Looking at the recent pics, I guess there wasn't any money left in the budget for paint after they removed the asbestos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Sorry, but am I the only one who does not see disaster looming ahead for this good looking Consolidation?

I'm still parsing this wording!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:04 pm 

Did C&O #701 alway's have this number even when lettered for the Hocking Valley? Was just curious as i was going thru some old large size b/w negatives i had boxed away and i found one of a Hocking Valley loco and tender lettered and numbered #150 that looks like a 2-8-0.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm 

In the 1990's a local Boy Scout repainted her and really made the appearance look good. Last year, locals started to notice asbestos piling up on the ground. The city had a contractor come in and remove the asbestos...this really took a toll on 701. The future plan is to move 701 across town to the newly renovated Covington passenger train station and put on display...with a makeover of course! Someone from Clifton Forge is helping with the financial portion of the move.

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 pm 

F.N.Kuenzel wrote:
Did C&O #701 alway's have this number even when lettered for the Hocking Valley? Was just curious as i was going thru some old large size b/w negatives i had boxed away and i found one of a Hocking Valley loco and tender lettered and numbered #150 that looks like a 2-8-0.

Fritz -

According to Mr. Conrad, the Hocking Valley number was 171.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm 

I'd rather see her go to the C&O Heritage Center in Clifton Forge. If they continue to suceed with their long term plans, she would end up under cover, and be reunited with the combine she pulled on the Hot Springs Branch. Plus, some C&O fans I know would stand a better chance of working on her. In Covington, she would remain a "Park Engine", although in a slightly more visible location. In Clifton Forge, she could be a star in the collection of a very good regional museum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm 

Gary Gray wrote:
I'd rather see her go to the C&O Heritage Center in Clifton Forge. If they continue to suceed with their long term plans, she would end up under cover, and be reunited with the combine she pulled on the Hot Springs Branch. Plus, some C&O fans I know would stand a better chance of working on her. In Covington, she would remain a "Park Engine", although in a slightly more visible location. In Clifton Forge, she could be a star in the collection of a very good regional museum.

Gary -

What combine would that be? I looked up their website and couldn't find a photo of the car, or even a list of their equipment.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:43 pm 

I like the thought of 701 going to Clifton Forge; although I dont think Covington would let 701 leave because 701 pulled the regular passenger service for many years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Gary Gray wrote:

Gary -

What combine would that be? I looked up their website and couldn't find a photo of the car, or even a list of their equipment.

Les

I think Gary is referring to C&O #458.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2692014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm 

Aaron, IIRC, back in the mid-90's Covington offered the 701 to the C&OHS, but at the time they couldn't afford to move it and remove all that "evil, wicked asbestos" that it was full of. They were focused on getting the Archives up and running then. Timing is everything........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:53 am 

Is magnesia lagging laden with asbestos too or do people who see a white, powdery substance just assume the worst?

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:51 pm 

New videos on YouTube showing condition of locomotive. They are labeled "C&O 701 A", "C&O 701 B", "C&O 701 C" and "C&O 701 Cab". Hopefully something can be done to at least help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Try this site address for rolling stock info:

http://www.cohs.org/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 pm 

Amen, Paul!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 pm 

Stopped by Covington last week and was happy to see that 701 is finally getting some needed attention. I found this article on the Alleghany Highlands Economic Development Corporation's Facebook page:

701 Locomotive Getting Facelift

JOSH HAGY

Chesapeake & Ohio locomotive 701 is about to get a facelift.

At a special called meeting Tuesday night, Covington City Council accepted a grant from The Alleghany Foundation to begin restoration of the steam engine, known locally as “The Merry Widow.”

The grant, which includes $36,000 from the foundation and $9,000 in local matching funds, will be used to begin restoration of the engine in an attempt to erase six decades of rust and time from the once-proud locomotive.

“This is a first step,”said Mayor Tom Sibold. “I know it’s not enough to get everything we’d like done.”

Allen Dressler, director of Covington’s Parks and Recreation Department, said the grant was focused on restoring 701 to her former beauty.

“Our plan is to remove the rust and paint,” he said. “There are some cosmetic improvements that will be done and some fabrication. We’ll replace the boiler jacket.

“We’ll do our best to restore the Merry Widow back to her original appearance in 1954 when she was parked down there,” Dress-ler added.

He also said he hoped there would funding available to spruce up the area around the venerable steam engine.

“I would be hopeful in being able to put some ballast rock around it so it looks more authentic setting there,” he said. “Perhaps even a decorative fence that is comparable to the fence that the historic depot has and some signage, a kiosk, that identifies her history.”

Locomotive 701 was built in Richmond in 1911 by American Locomotive Company. She was built in a batch of 10 locomotives. Three of her sister locomotives were sent to Korea to replace war-damaged trains.

The 701 is a Class G5 Consolidation type locomotive with a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement.

This particular class of steam locomotive came into service in the 1890s and replaced the 4-4-0 American type engines that are familiar to fans of western films.

In its first 10 years of service, 701 traveled the rails as part of the Hocking Valley Railroad through Ohio and up to the Great Lakes.

C&ORailway purchased the Hocking Valley Railroad in 1930, which gave the company title to 701.

A decade later, the 701 took over the duties that made her famous in the Alleghany Highlands.

The 701 spent 12 years single-handedly pulling Pullman cars from Clifton Forge, through Covington and on to The Homestead in Hot Springs.

Those dozen years on the local rails earned 701 the nickname of “The Merry Widow.”

During World WarII, German embassy personnel were housed at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., while Japanese personnel hung their hats at The Homestead.

The 701 was the engine who delivered them to the famed resort.

On Dec. 13, 1952, the 701 ran the rails for the final time and was replaced the next day by Engine No. 5830, a GP7-type diesel locomotive.

She spent 18 months on the Clifton Forge yard until she was rescued from the scrap line on Nov. 17, 1954, when she was placed on display at Covington’s Main Street Park, where she has remained for the past 60 years.

Attachments:
CO 701 May 2014.jpg
CO 701 May 2014.jpg [ 258.6 KiB | Viewed 8924 times ]