It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's the best wood car restorer?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2000 9:03 pm 

Hello-<br> Our Museum recently acquired former GTW Wooden Combine #7365. She was built about 1885, and was last used in mixed train service around Grand Rapids in the mid-1950's. My question is this: who is currently the finest wood car restorer(s)? <br>We really want this to be done by someone who has restored wood cars before. The only name I consistently get in our area is Mid-Continent or the Huckleberry Railroad (in nearby Genessee County), but I have been told neither of these museums do contract work. We would like to have someone located as close to our home in Port Huron, Michigan as possible. Time is also somewhat of a factor.<p>Thanks,<p>TJ Gaffney<br>Curator of Collections<br>Port Huron Museum <br>

peremarquette@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Who's the best wood car restorer?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2000 10:42 pm 

As far as the wood work goes don't think that only a railroad facility can do this. Try interviewing a few finish carpenters or perhaps a cabinet shop from your area. Wood is wood just because it is attached to a railcar doesn't make it anymore special. Same goes with upholstery, sheetmetal, paint and glass. Key thing is for you to develope a plan, secify materials and workmanship and then supervise the job after you have hired the appropriate qualified mechanics<br>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 2:10 am 

strasburg RR, in beautiful, strasburg. pa. <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 3:02 am 

With due respect, Jim, Strasburg does not restore wooden cars - they rebuild them using new materials and technologies for tourist railroad service, and they do it very nicely. <p>Glenn Guerra and Vance Dickenson are master craftsmen I can wholeheartedly recommend for legitimate historic restoration of wooden railroad cars. Mid Continent does a nice job too, and Chris DeWitt - but contract work? Probably not available. Apologies for whoever I am leaving out. <p>And, yes, you do need specific railroad car information and experience to do the job correctly. Good cabinetmakers and house carpenters can do nice work but railroad cars are full of little tricks of the trade and design considerations not found in houses or cabinets or furniture. Those fguys can be great subcontractors but you do need expert help guiding the project.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 6:17 am 

I took Glen Guerra's class at the ARM convention, and he appears to have a well-thought out system for restoration. I am going to implement some of his recommendations in my next project. I was very impressed with the documentation of the project as it progressed as well as the amount of work done prior to even starting the restoration. <p>Andy Nold<br>

tnold@bigfoot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 10:11 am 

The gentleman who restores the wooden equipment at the Huckleberry RR is not an employee, but a contractor. His name is Dan Gosnell. You might want to stop by the Railroad Restoration Shop at the park complex. Dan is there all year round. <br>

dsrc512@sd.value.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 2:12 pm 

Couple of suggestions:<br>The RPN site has two great articles on wooden car preservation you might want to check on. <p>I am a firm believer in reading "Wooden Boat" magazine for clues and guidance. I have been reading it for years and find many similarities in requirements and finish. <p>We (NJ Museum of Transportation) recently used a "steeple jack" to do the structure work on a wooden caboose. He cut all his own lumber on site as you simply can not buy the sizes needed. Believe it or not, he was much cheaper than the other carpenters we interviewed for the job and could tell right off the bat what was needed.<p>J.R. May<br> <br>

m3assoc@bellatlantic.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 4:18 pm 

What a great idea!!! I will file that one away. You folks have a nice place there.<p>Tom Gears<br>Wilmington, DE<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 7:01 am 

Thanks for the kudos on our website and our upcoming opening of the Thomas Edison Depot Museum. We are hoping that the addition of the <br>GT Combine will add a lot to the experience.<p>TJG<br>

peremarquette@hotmail.com