It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N.G. steam at home
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2000 9:11 pm 

When I was a boy there was a railroad enthusiast in Muttontown, Long Island, N.Y., (near Syosset) who had a full narrow gauge railroad on his estate. He operated a small steamer and a Diesel, towing dumpcars around his land. Eventually the railroad was disassembled and moved elsewhere. Question: Are there others around the country? That is, other private persons with their own steam locomotive that they run around their property? With all the little ex-German dock engines and those that must be available from the old eastern Europeans countries, I'd have to believe some of us are living out our fantasies.<br>

Aurora7@juno.com

Post subject: Re: N.G. steam at home
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2000 5:17 am 

Without infringing on anybody's, perivacy, i do know of two individuals, one with a South African 2 foot gage line near Houston, and another near Boulder, CO with a 600 MM trench engine. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2000 8:52 am 

As much as I respect people's perivacy, I must add that there are two 24" gauge operations in St. Marys, PA. <p>BTW, What exactly is perivacy?<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2000 9:04 am 

There is another between Baltimore and Ellicott City, where the owner actually built his own replica of B&O 4-6-2 #5300, the President Washington, the prototype of which survives at the B&O Museum.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net