It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIRR G-5 & Forming a Nonprofit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 6:12 am 

Reading the post about the LIRR G-5 and what sounds like a lawyer who royally ripped off the group when they went to form a 501 (c) (3). I have formed non profit organizations in two states, and I can say that it can be done for under $600.00, and it can be done by anyone. You do not need a lawyer. Most states and the IRS has the neccesary forms online, just fill out and mail in. My latest organization is formed in the state of Delaware because it gives more flexibility in how the organization can be governed. I went to the State of Delaware's website, printed out their forms, drafted articles of incorporation, and sent them in with a check for about $90 (can't remember exactly). I then contracted with a registered agent for $50 a year. When the Incorporation papers came back I got my EIN number from the IRS. (form SS-4). I am now drafting bylaws, and filling out IRS Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Tax Exempt Organization. There is either a $150 or $450 fee depending upon how much money you have, or plan to raise each year. <p>It is so simple, and it pains me to hear that good money that could be used for preservation work is being wasted because of a simple lack of knowlege.<p>But it makes me wonder, that lawyer must have REALLY screwed that group if they are on a payment plan with him.<p>If anyone needs help forming a 501 (c) (3), I will be glad to assist, just email me. And I'll do it free. <br>

rickrailrd@aol.com

Post subject: Re: LIRR G-5 & Forming a Nonprofit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 7:00 am 

What do you expect from the lawyer; he had to buy contraceptives! He probably screwed an untold number of people!<p>The quote that comes to mind is not from Shakespere, it can orignally be found in the Book of Luke!<br>

blevin@engr.psu.edu