It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ALCO PA rebuilds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 4:54 pm 

I read recently that the two PA hulks have been unloaded from flatcars in Oregon. Can anyone advise if the locomotives are in the restoration process at this time? Are both engines going to be be rebuilt as operable, or is Smithsonians simply a cosmetic job? Will they both be in Santa Fe livery, or will one mascarade periodically in different paint schemes? <br>I'd like to hear everything there is to know at this time regarding the PA's.<br><br>

Post subject: Re: ALCO PA rebuilds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 5:14 pm 

My understanding is that Doyle McCormack's PA will be painted as a NYC&StL Bluebird and be restored to full operating condition. The Smithsonian's PA will likely be returned to the Santa Fe warbonnet scheme, but will not be operable or have the prime mover and all other critical parts installed in the carbody. It will essentially be an attractive PA shell. There wasn't much left of the PAs when they returned to the U.S. Mr. McCormack even had to dig up the only available PA-style A-1-A trucks from some old F-M Erie built B-units being used up in Canada. I do not know the specifics, but these trucks could be interested to retrofit to operable condition. These trucks are not an exact match, but should look quite nice under the PAs. If anyone can complete their restoration, Mr. McCormack can!! It will takes years of work to restore these significant locomotives. Hope this helps.<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2000 5:53 pm 

Also the restorations have not started. Doyle is very busy doing a CN boiler right now.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 4:46 am 

How about CP 2816, not CN :)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 8:20 pm 

How about its a steam loco boiler and beyond that i wouldn't know. I got the Canuck part correct.<br>