It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman " San Marino "
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:05 pm 

As someone who often makes a trip down to the Huntington Library in San Marino, California, I read with great interest that H.E. Huntington had a number of private cars. One was an interurban type named Alabama and then it mentions two different cars named San Marino. I was wondering if any of these cars exist and if so, are they in private hands or in a museum. Would love to know if they survived and if so, where and in what condition. I looked on the AAPRCO website however did not see a car named San Marino listed in their charter section. Any information on the whereabouts of these cars would be very much appreciated. The records indicate that San Marino 1 and 2 were sold to the Southern Pacific Railroad after H.E. Huntington's death. Then what happened ?

markettrader@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Pullman " San Marino "
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:51 pm 

> As someone who often makes a trip down to
> the Huntington Library in San Marino,
> California, I read with great interest that
> H.E. Huntington had a number of private
> cars. One was an interurban type named
> Alabama and then it mentions two different
> cars named San Marino. I was wondering if
> any of these cars exist and if so, are they
> in private hands or in a museum. Would love
> to know if they survived and if so, where
> and in what condition. I looked on the
> AAPRCO website however did not see a car
> named San Marino listed in their charter
> section. Any information on the whereabouts
> of these cars would be very much
> appreciated. The records indicate that San
> Marino 1 and 2 were sold to the Southern
> Pacific Railroad after H.E. Huntington's
> death. Then what happened ?

SAN MARINO became SP DEL MONTE and is still around. When built the San Marino carried the initials of the San Joaquin & Eastern the railroad that supplied the “Big Creek” hydro-electric project that Huntington’s power company built [Big Creek became part of Southern California Edison].

SAN MARINO 2 was a staff and provision car that looked like a combine. The SP converted it into a combine. It appears that SAN MARINO 2 started life as ONEONTA 2 – a staff and provision car used with Colis Huntington’s car ONEONTA. Henry Huntington acquired both of his uncle’s cars and then upgraded in the ‘teens

I think I saw something that the SP Technical Society's quarterly publication was going to have an article on the combine.

Brian Norden

bnorden49@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:50 pm 

The Alabama was sold to the Sacramento Northern about 1920, and was used until it burned at Dozier, CA in March 1931.

> As someone who often makes a trip down to
> the Huntington Library in San Marino,
> California, I read with great interest that
> H.E. Huntington had a number of private
> cars. One was an interurban type named
> Alabama and then it mentions two different
> cars named San Marino. I was wondering if
> any of these cars exist and if so, are they
> in private hands or in a museum.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/parlor.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:58 pm 

The San Marino was most recently (late 90s)stored at or near the Fillmore and Western. A friend worked on its trucks and electrical. It has since left its home road and went somewhere in the South. I cannot remember where.

wyld@sbcglobal.net

Post subject: Late Hour Update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 pm 

A friend worked on its trucks and
> electrical.

His response to my query follows:

"It was finished and shipped back to Birmingham for Mr. Harry Bernell. As Amtrak became harder to deal with and with new restrictions regarding picking up his car in Birmingham, he sold it (I do not know to whom) a couple years back.

wyld@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:30 pm 

HELLO ALL.......

The history of the SAN MARINO ,

Built by PULLMAN CO. IN 1916. Heavyweight private
car built for traction (PE) tycoon H.E.HUNTINGTON. Car still has original wood paneled "GOLDEN AGE" interior.
owned by SOUTHERN PACIFIC Co. 1927-1978 as business car #107. Car sold to H.S. PURNELL.

CHARLIE

TWINCOACH@AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:15 pm 

Hello

Noticed the discussion regarding the San Marino. I am the owner of the San Marino and purchased this car from Harry Purnell in December 2002. The San Marino,which was delivered painted for the Huntington owned San Joaquin and Eastern RR, became the SP car # 107 Delmonte before again being sold to Mexico in the late 1970's. ( note that car # 107 and a car I believe named Los Angeles were both sold by the SP / the Los Angeles is now stored out of service in St. Louis ) The car ( # 107 and Los Angeles ) were then returned to the United States and car # 107 was sold again to Mark Dee's of California. Upon his death, the car was stored at the Filmore and Western Railroad and later restored to Amtrak specifications at Filmore after those in charge of his estate sold the car to Harry Purnell.

The San Marino is in exceptional condition thanks in part to the dedication of the previous owners to not distrurb the historical nature of this heavyweight. The car is complete with its original wood interior, fixtures, etc.

The car is presently stored indoors, on power, in a high security building located in the South /Central part of the country. Indoor storage in a warm climate should keep the car in great condition for years to come. I use the car periodically for trips on Amtrak.

As far as San Marino # 2, it was a combine type car, also delivered painted and lettered San Joaquin and Eastern. It is my understanding that the car was also sold to the SP, and later served in M&W service before being scrapped I believe in the 1950's. The car was used by the staff that traveled with H.E. Huntington to store the rare books, and art that he purchased as he traveled the country.

I have photographs of the cars, should anyone have an interest. Hope this information helps those that have an interest.

Dean A Levin

sanmarinoltd@aol.com