It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re Preservation Law
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 9:13 pm 

This thread is interesting. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the National Register of Historic Places. This is a system that started in 1966 to recognize historic buildings,ships, trains and places etc. that are over 50 years old and have historic significance. To be on the Register there has to be both elements present. The Federal gov does not fund anything simply because it is on the Register, but being on it does make it easier to get funds. And besides having the information down on paper who, when, where and why is always a good thing for any artifact, railroad or other wise.<p>The British Heritage Lottery is an interesting case. It funds Cultural items like Theatre groups, Sports items like out Little League and Historic Preservation like Buildings, Ships, Trains and Archaeology. It has poured millions of Pounds (i.e.$$$) into historic preservation since it was formed a few years ago.<p>But remember that the UK is a small country that is very history and tourist minded and often willing to find the money to back up a project.<p>Ted Miles <br>

ted_miles@NPS.gov

Post subject: Re: Re Preservation Law
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 3:51 am 

Tourism is becoming big business. The RR museum of PA has the highest attendance of any of the museums or sites administed by the State Museum Comm. The state of PA now administers a discounted railfan pass to a group of PA RR museum sites, both public i.e. Strasburg and Steamtown, and Private i.e. Altoona.<p>AS someone was credited with saying, "Keep your eye on the prize"<br>

blevin@engr.psu.edu