It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doyle and the 197
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:39 am 

I'm curious as to what will happen to the UP light Pacific that Doyle and company are restoring in Portland. This is the third and last locomotive pulled out of Oaks Park. Will this locomotive be folded into the 4449 organization or is there a separate group formed or forming to support this locomotive? I realize that its age and size will limit certain operations but it should be cheaper to run than some of the larger steamers. Also, I believe that the Inland Empire group in Spokane has a sister Pacific to this one. I hope they are taking notes and visiting in the Brooklyn roundhouse to see the happenings. Maybe Doyle would offer a 2 for 1 discount!<br><br>

shawsrus@dellnet.com

Post subject: Re: Doyle and the 197
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 2:07 pm 

Scott,<p>Each of the three steam locomotives at the Brooklyn roundhouse: the OR&N 197, the SP&S 700, and the SP 4449, is under the care of a separate, independent group. Each of these groups has its own unique characteristics, and operates under an agreement with the City of Portland which allows it to restore, maintain, and operate the locomotive.<p>The "group" that is responsible for the OR&N 197 actually consists of two people, myself and my partner. Thus far, we are solely and personally responsible for the engine with regard to the financial burden and the decision making involved with the movement and restoration. Both of us were involved with Doyle and the 4449 before moving the 197 from the park to the roundhouse, and still continue that involvement. In addition to the two of us, there is a small handful of very loyal volunteers that provides the needed manpower to perform the restoration. All of these people have become involved with the 4449 as well.<p>Although each of the three engines at Brooklyn is under the care of a separate group, we are all neighbors, and there is a good deal of resource sharing and helping each other out when needed. In addition, as noted above, there is some spillover of "members" between the groups. <p>Doyle seems to be busy enough with the 4449, PA's, F unit, RSD-5, and Hudson boiler right now without taking on any more steam engines.<p>Rob Sinclair<br>OR&N 197

OR&N 197 Website
orn197@teleport.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:54 pm 

rob, any chance that the engine might be able to eventually take a spin at mt. hood RR? jim <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 1:45 am 

Jim-<br>A trip to the Mt. Hood RR might be a long-term possibility, although we have never discussed it with the MHRR. Of course, the major consideration would be the necessary long move over the UP main line. Also, a 77-inch drivered Pacific would not be much of a hill climber.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 4:58 am 

I always thought the mt. Hood should get their own steamer...<br>and the Dalles Dam Tour RR should maybe get a little tank engine for their operation<br>

amraam120c@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2000 6:03 am 

The reason I suggested it was, as I'm sure Rob knows and maybe other readers will find interesting, the MHRR is an ex-UP branch (though if memory doesn't fail me, I believe it was a shortline during steam days)and even had a turntable on its switchback so the steamers didn't have to risk exposing the crown sheet on one leg of the switchback; they were always facing up hill. I don't recall hearing about that anywhere else.<p>Good luck, Rob & Co.! <p>(Ps: Though on the other side of the country, I'm interested as I sneaked a peek of the 197 and her bunk mates during vacation in Oregon in June.) <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2000 10:51 pm 

Why not invite them to next years joint ARM / TRAIN event at Spencer? Got a whole 12 months to prepare? Note: subtle plug to all to want to attend.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net