It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re Preserved Park Steam Engines
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 3:46 pm 

When I commented about Park Steam engines a while ago, I was hoping to start a thread and it made for interesting reading and some places for future travel. It give one hope that some of them that are not yet in a museum setting may survive a bit longer. <p>I am surprised that no one mentioned Pere Marequette #1223. She was written up in the old L&RP as a sucessful park engine.<p>A really old park engine was a Lumber engine, 2-4-0 I think, that was in the Park in Traverse City, Michigan. She was built by Porter Bell in 1878. Is she still around somewhere?<p>At the edge of the SF Bay area is one of 5 Western Pacific Railroad steamers. She is an 0-6-0 switcher. Her home is the Alameda Fairgrounds in Pleasenton. She has an amazing paint job, if you ever want to see a steam engine with blue tires that is where to go.<p>Ted Miles<p> <br><br>

ted_miles@NPS.gov

Post subject: Re: Re Preserved Park Steam Engines: D.B. Harrington
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2000 9:25 pm 

In regards to the park engine at Traverse City, Michigan:<p>You are talking about Port Huron & Northwestern<br>Railway #1, the D. B. Harrington, built in 1878. She is now located at the Port Huron Museum in Port Huron, Michigan. She is under cover, awaiting restoration. As far as I know, she is the only example of a Porter Bell porduct that is left. She is in decent shape, as Cedar Point and then<br>the Henry Ford Museum had her before we did, and began some restoration efforts. <br>

peremarquette@hotmail.com