It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The postings about "strange cases of preservation&a
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 6:49 am 

I thought of something last night, numerous engines were "saved" by being set up as stationary boilers. If I recall John Bromley correctly, this is how the 2-10-2 was saved in Cheyenne. BTW - When I asked him about the engine he indicated that there was no possibility of her ever returning to steam. He pointed out that she WAS a SLOOOW drag engine with 45" drivers (I think?) and was in very poor shape. <br>the jist of my question was, "Are there any "stationary boiler" engines left still set up that way?" If so where and if not when was the last taken out of service?<br>Thanks in advance. <br>

kenta@ameritech.net

Post subject: Re: The postings about "strange cases of preservati
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:59 am 

I can't speak for Mr. Bromley, but I believe he means that there is no way the UP would steam her. She is simply too slow for the modern day operations of the UP. I am sure that her boiler is in poor shape after stationary boiler service, but if a restoration like the PRR 1361 or N&W 1218 is possible, then the 2-10-2 could also be restored.<br>In response to your question, I have old Boston & Maine employee magazines from the late 1950's and clearly show the B&M 4-6-2 #3713 in stationary boiler service at an industrial building after her "final run" in April 1956. I have also talked to older New England railroaders who claim the B&M #3713 was also used as a snow melter for a while. I don't think the great folks at the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Historical Society have found the 3713's boiler to be in particularly bad shape. <br>I have noticed that there was quite a bit of extra "piping" around the smokebox of the 3713 during her last run. The piping is noticably absent in pictures of her on display at Boston's Museum of Science. The piping may have had something to do with stationary boiler service. Anybody know for sure?<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

Post subject: Re: The postings about "strange cases of preservati
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 9:12 am 

I believe (though I may be wrong) that at least two Soo Line Pacifics were set up for snow melting duties. One of these (4-6-2 #2719) still survives and is currently in excursion service. So if this is true, perhaps the fact that she was so set up may have been a reason why she, in particular, survived. Can anyone confirm (or refute)? <br>

midlandblb@cs.com