It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastshore Museum B6sb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2000 4:56 pm 

This weekend I read of a Pennsy B6sb that is supposed to be displayed at the Eastshore Railroad Museum in Virginia. Does anyone have more information about the locomotive, and can anyone direct me to a photo of it?<br>

aurora7@juno.com

Post subject: Re: Eastshore Museum B6sb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2000 7:56 pm 

I believe this loco in question is actually PRR B6sa [non-Belpaire firebox] #60, which at one time was earmarked for acquisition by the Eastern Shore Railway Museum at Parksley, Va., but currently resides instead at Hockessin, Delaware on a siding off the Wilmington & Western on display at a mock "station" office building. Don't hold me to this, but I understand the ESRM had claimed the locomotive as a donation (read: rescue from potential scrapping, after W&W incurred heavy losses saving the loco from western Pa.), but found it unfeasable to transport the loco down the Delmarva Peninsula. Then a group in Delaware rescued the loco as a static exhibit.<br>No slight on the ESRM; it's worth a visit if you're that way; just don't expect a PRR B6.<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2000 1:45 am 

Got a picture or a photo source online? What kind of shape is her boiler and running gear?<br>

aurora7@juno.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2000 3:46 am 

I have taken quite a few pictures of the B-6sa #60, but I don't have a scanner. Sorry. The engine in general is in about as poor condition that a steam locomotive can be in aside from being a pile of scrap metal. The steam dome has been severed - don't know why anyone would do that? The cab was in poor and incomplete condition. The running gear appeared in poor shape. The jacket, bell, whistle, gauges, much of the piping, etc. are gone. Sand dome is gone. The tender is in equally bad shape. She is certainly cosmetically restorable with a lot of hard work and money, but would likely take an huge sum of money to restore to operation. I guess this is why the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania passed on her about 10 years ago. Just too much work. Probably the true definition of a basket case, in my opinion.<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com