It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IC 1500 class 2-8-2's
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 5:31 pm 

Can anyone tell me what the minimum recommended curve radius/degree was for the IC's 1500 class 2-8-2's?<br>

thewises@apex.net

Post subject: Re: IC 1500 class 2-8-2's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2000 2:43 am 

I'm afraid I don't have an answer but is 1518 going anywhere soon? Just wondering....<br>

jblay@mail.odyssey.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2000 10:46 pm 

Joshua,<p>No, I don't think the City of Paducah would let the 1518 out of their hands anytime soon, I'm afraid. Pity all the money the City spent on moving the locomotive (and cars) two blocks further away from downtown, and again on its recent paint job, couldn't have been put towards its return to service. I think it would look splendid running on the P&L. Perhaps someday a group will take up the challenge!<p>Brian<br>

thewises@apex.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 10:58 am 

Good heavens no, 1518 will never run again! The old codgers from Pahducah shops have all forgotten where the parts and pieces of locomotives go, and the younger folks in that corner of Kentucky couldn't operate anything more complicated than a video game anyway.<p>Just let 'em slap another coat of paint on it every few years, and eventually the Japanese or Arabs will pick it up cheap and haul it off, to make little cars or razor blades or something out of.<p>After all, Paducah's not like those big cities like Ft Wayne in Indiana, where their engine [NKP 765] was restored and is up and running again. And there's only one place around Paducah that I can think of where that sort of work might be done, and those silly fools don't know the first thing about locomotives....<p>-archy-/-<br>

archy@hyperchat.com