It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salt Lake City depot [tragedy]
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 1998 1:12 pm 

I heard a report that I hope is false: both the UP and D&RGW depots in Salt Lake City will be demolished for the Olympics and/or development. If true, that's a tragedy of the first order!<br>I thought it was just going to be one of the two---which is bad enough. Tell me it's not both. They are both fine historical structures.<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Salt Lake City depot [tragedy]
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 1998 2:03 pm 

Well, if those Mormons demolish those stations then we know that they really don't have God on their side like they claim.<br>

Post subject: Re: Salt Lake City depots - Preservation
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 1998 4:56 am 

I don't know where you got this information, but it is VERY false. What IS true is that the tracks are to be removed from both depots, but the depots themselves have been or are undergoing restoration. The reason the tracks are being removed is that the city is constructing a mall/entertainment type complex behind the depots.<p>The D&RGW/Western Pacific depot is the home of the Utah State Historical Society and their musuem. They also maintain a large library there, and have restored much of the building over the last decade. The AMTRAK station that is built into one wing of the structure will probably be gutted, because AMTRAK won't be using the depot anymore. <p>The Union Pacific depot just a block away is slated to become the new home of the Children's Museum of Utah. It is already the home of the Utah Arts Council. There are plans in place to utilize the UP depot as part of the Gateway complex (I've seen the plans, and the scale models too). <p>Jeff Terry<br>From Salt Lake City but now in Minnesota<br>

Lineside@railfan.com

Post subject: Re: Salt Lake City depots - Preservation
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 1998 11:08 am 

Very good report, Jeff! Thanks.<br>Thought it would be an unbelievable tragedy to lose one or both fine depots in SLC.<br>This is a case study for Anatomy of a Bad Railfan Rumor.<br><br>