It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Boy rides again !!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:58 pm 

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Sammy King

Post subject: Re: Big Boy rides again !!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:16 pm 

And tickets available to the public! Good for UP!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Kelly Anderson wrote:

ONLY if any tickets survive the initial round of sales to Museum members--and here's wagering that a minimum $50 "Surveyor" patron membership won't get you into the first round of ticket sales.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Kelly Anderson wrote:

ONLY if any tickets survive the initial round of sales to Museum members--and here's wagering that a minimum $50 "Surveyor" patron membership won't get you into the first round of ticket sales.

I was given an invite and I’m not even a current member. I was invited as a “past supporter”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:25 pm 

Anybody who can't get a ticket can still see the #4014 FOR FREE, courtesy of Uncle Pete. I agree with Mr Anderson, and thousands of others who have benefited from the generosity of our local Class I. Speaking as somebody fortunate enough to live in their territory, I can tell you that all kinds of people who have no contact with rail preservation at all are EXCITED every time the BIG BOY comes through these little towns on the prairie. The UP steam crew and their corporate supporters have done way more for the cause than the small number of people that have nothing better to do than gripe about them have (not to mention any names).

VIVA UP #4014 !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:34 am 

For those wanting some of the details about riding the train, seating will be limited. While the train will have a number of cars, as has been the recent practice, only a few cars will be used by passengers for the one-way Denver to Cheyenne trip. Return is via bus. Here are a few details that have been sent out to Museum members.

Classic Dome Coach Experience – The Challenger
Ticket includes private reception and the train ride in a vintage dome coach car, The Challenger. Streamlined breakfast packages and beverages will be available as passengers make their way to the boarding site. Box lunches will be available to passengers on the way to the Ames Monument. Ticket holders will also be able to visit and tour the Union Pacific Experience car display in the Promontory during the train ride. The Experience is a multi-media walkthrough exhibition that provides a glimpse at the past while telling the story of modern-day railroading.
Bottled water will be available throughout the trip including on the return bus trip to Denver.
Dome - $1100
Flat - $650

Premium Dome Diner Experience – The Colorado Eagle
Ticket includes private reception and the train ride in a vintage dome dining car, The Colorado Eagle. Streamlined breakfast packages and beverages will be available as passengers make their way to the boarding site. Box lunches will be available to passengers on the way to the Ames Monument. Ticket holders will also be able to visit and tour the Union Pacific Experience car display in the Promontory during the train ride. The Experience is a multi-media walkthrough exhibition that provides a glimpse at the past while telling the story of modern-day railroading.
Bottled water will be available throughout the trip including on the return bus trip to Denver.
Dome - $1200
Flat - $750

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bartman-TN wrote:

Classic Dome Coach Experience – The Challenger

Dome - $1100
Flat - $650

Premium Dome Diner Experience – The Colorado Eagle

Dome - $1200
Flat - $750

SO WAIT...............
THEY HAVE THEM RIDING ON FLAT CARS NOW???????

With a roof, or without???

<:-D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:27 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Anybody who can't get a ticket can still see the #4014 FOR FREE, courtesy of Uncle Pete.
I just wish UP had made good on the Pacific Northwest trip that they've twice indefinitely postponed as I have yet had the chance to see 4014.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:00 pm 

I know tickets went on sale for members or special populations related to the organization today. Does anyone know if any tickets are actually still available. The popular opinion was that no tickets would make it to the public sale.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I just wish UP had made good on the Pacific Northwest trip that they've twice indefinitely postponed as I have yet had the chance to see 4014.

They're trying. The involvement of the STB with the Class 1s was not necessarily unexpected, but relatively swift. UP (along with NS and CSX I believe) are in hot water with the STB at the moment. Running Big Boy looks bad on multiple accounts. It's fuel the STB can use against them. I could see it now: "so you have resources and availability to run a steam locomotive, but you have intermodal trains running days behind, dead in the water on the railroad." UP doesn't really have a good way to combat that. For the customers it also looks bad. Most of them don't have an interest in steam preservation, but rather getting their freight on time. It looks bad on UP if they can't get freight delivered on time, but have the time to play with their toy. I'm personally skeptical that the move to Silvis will happen this year. Sure, they're prepping 3985 and 5511 now, but whether or not the equipment will actually get on the main in 2022 is questionable in my opinion, unless in the contract they're obligated to have the equipment moved by a certain date.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:08 pm 

smbtrain wrote:
UP (along with NS and CSX I believe) are in hot water with the STB at the moment. Running Big Boy looks bad on multiple accounts.
There is also labor unrest. The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET) is conducting a strike vote per this June 23, 2022 article in Railway Age: BLET to Hold Strike Authorization Vote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:22 pm 

The part of the system I work on is so congested it's difficult to get trains across our division. They're even rerouting double stacks down through here. That NEVER happens, so some other part of the system must have really ground to a halt.

The entire system seems to be awash in cars that nobody can take. We need fewer, shorter trains that are easily handled and will fit in sidings across their divisions. But, what they want is fewer employees and longer trains. It's coming back to bite them, and the contract negotiations are not going well.

But, they'll do whatever they want and count on the general public to ignore the bad mouthing of the customers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:45 pm 

Perhaps this trip is a go in that it is nominally a charter for the Cheyenne museum, and not just UP blowing their own whistle, combined with it being a very short out and back run.

Good for keeping the crew in practice as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:08 pm 

The trip is nothing to do with the Cheyenne Museum, they couldn't possibly afford to run UP trips and make any kind of profit. It was a loss maker even running the return trip of the Frontier days specials from Denver.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:24 pm 

car57 wrote:
The trip is nothing to do with the Cheyenne Museum, they couldn't possibly afford to run UP trips and make any kind of profit. It was a loss maker even running the return trip of the Frontier days specials from Denver.

What does it cost to “run a UP trip”? You say it like anyone can just charter one if they have the $$$.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:42 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
car57 wrote:

What does it cost to “run a UP trip”? You say it like anyone can just charter one if they have the $$$.

I have no idea of current costs, all i know is that the return trips years ago for the Denver Posts empty run back to Cheyenne were prohibitively expensive for the Depot Museum unless every single seat even in coach was booked. i would ask the UP museum who is chartering it if you want to know,