It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT - The years EMC did not exist
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:03 am 

An industry history topic. I have had some e-mails and calls the last couple days about my sidebar article in R&LHS Railroad History #226 telling about the two years that Electro-Motive did not exist, and the subsequent GM "editing" of EMC history to make it seem continuous. I just wanted to confirm that the information in this sidebar is correct. I included the telling of this history in the INSIDE EMD program starting in 2003, and that program has been shown over 100 times to several thousand people in the hobby and industry, including at an NMRA National Convention held right next door to GM Corporate Headquarters in Detroit. The cover of the February 23, 1935 issue of Railway Age has preserved the story of Electro-Motive's missing years. I also mentioned that Railway Age cover (and showed it) in my narration for the Kalmbach EMD AT 100 video. The full story is now in print. R&LHS Railroad History Issue #226.

PC

Post subject: Re: OT - The years EMC did not exist
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:07 pm 

I just read that story yesterday and your sidebar. Very interesting sidebar on something i never knew. I just joined R&LHS a couple of years ago and now wish I had done so years before. A great resource.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:16 pm 

R&LHS did a superb job with this very large article. They are great to work with, and are definitely the "go to" organization for publishing detailed studies of aspects of railroad history, just as the name of their journal (Railroad History) implies. They did an equally excellent job with my sequential manufacturing walk-around tour of the La Grange plant which filled 74 pages of issues 218 (no longer available), 219 (now in short supply), and 220 of Railroad History.

The amazing part of the story of the years that Electro-Motive did not exist, is that the February 23, 1935 cover of Railway Age was out there for decades while so many authors and historians (self included) did not fully appreciate the story it told in the fine print. Electro-Motive was dissolved as a company, and did not exist, for more that two years while some of the most historically significant events in the dieselization of the railroads took place, and then was re-established as a corporation just before the La Grange plant was built. GM subsequently wrote this out of the corporate history and there is no mention of it in the books by Franklin Reck that they subsequently sponsored. On further examination I found that there is plenty of surviving additional documentation that supports the story of Electro-Motive's missing years.

PC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:37 pm 

PCook wrote:
R&LHS did a superb job with this very large article. ...

They did an equally excellent job with my sequential manufacturing walk-around tour of the La Grange plant which filled 74 pages of issues 218 (no longer available), 219 (now in short supply), and 220 of Railroad History.

PC

And those articles were the reason I became a member.

Thanks!